Anyone here ever use BobCAD?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I found this Cnc program that looks like it can be easier to learn than G-Code.
Has anyone here ever used this?

http://bobcad.com/

We used to have Bobcad at work but switched to another program.

I know this didn't answer your question, but your statement that it would be easier to learn than G code is why I'm responding.

No matter what CAM program you have you need to have at least a basic working knowledge of code.

I gaurenttee you will get into a situation that no matter how many times you change the CAM file and post it something just won't be right. The fix could be very simple, but with no knowledge of basic codes your stuck.

There are many codes, but learn the basics. I'd guess about 20 or so G and M codes will get you started. I'm more familiar with mill codes than lathe, but most are the same for both.

Let us know if you have a mill or lathe and we can help if you get stuck.

Yeah their sales is quite aggressive, even living in Australia I had one guy bend my ear for 20 minutes.

If you're a hobbyist I would recommend any CAD program that saves or exports DXF and a simple CAM program such as CamBam. Learning gcode is not too bad, sometimes it's quick to open a text editor and type in a quick file rather than go through the whole CAD\CAM process.

I recently got this book

"CNC Milling in the Workshop" a book published by The Crowood Press. Which I found to be a great source of info, mind I'm speaking from the position as a hobbyist with no experience in an industrial environment.....I'm just a simple builder's labourer with no qualifications in any kind of trade.

I used CamBam for awhile and it was my first CAM application so it took a bit to get the hang of not just CAMBAM but also the whole workflow and approach of a CAM application. Eventually and even though I liked CAMBAM I was finding I wanted to do things that CAMBAM was just not up to (although it continues to evolve) and I moved to BOBCAD. While the sales person was somewhat aggressive, I would not say it was over the top. They were respectful and when I ask them not to contact me for a specific period they honored my request so overall I don't have a bad experience with their Sales. As a Hobby user, they also gave a pretty deep discount. As for the application itself. It is NOT an intuitive application to learn. Every time I need to do something for the first time it seems to take a long time to figure out how to make it happen. I think they realize this as they seem to have a fairly robust Technically support team (for a fee) and online and video training modules. Overall I am happy with BobCad and every time I use it, I get better and faster with it.

I agree with Alloy that you will benefit from knowing some G & M coding. There is a program that is free to use called CNC Simulator Pro and one of it's benefits is that it has a CNC programming learning module built in where it will give you tasks and then you have to give it the G-Code it then uses the simulator to show you the results. It really helped me to understand they key concepts needed and was free.

I have BobCAD/CAM and Bobart came with it. I have V25 and they are up to V27 right now and they discounting it, which if the pattern holds true they are ready to release V28. I bout mine 2 yrs ago. I will never buy from them again. The software sucks to no end. I agree with the post above " BobCAD sales will hound you to death. It takes a lot of using the BobCAD/Cam to be able to do a quick design and the code gened up.
It is written buy software Engineers for Software Engineers, not machinist and for certain not hobby machinist. After 45 day of activation, any support cost a fortune. Training beyond the 10 min training videos I got with the software, costs 1000s of dollar's unless you drive to classes they hold around the country. You will need to fly in to the training, Hotel, meals rental car to get around and so on then fly back. Classes start at 750.00 tuition and up. I took a Solidworks class out at the community college and they offered a student version and converted it to a hobby lic, and love it. It is so much easier to use you want believe it. I was making great looking models and genning G-code in less than a week. All I can say is I was not happy at all, with BobCAD/CAM, unless you are a full CAD/CAM designer.
I would not buy it again, and do not recommend it to anyone.
CH

Last edited:
Thanks. This is why i ask questions. :)

I have lost count of people who purchased that software after being told not to and were sorry they ever heard of it. Just saying.

Well, I wish I would have went and took the class at Community College first. I made some good friends there with instructors and students. When I run in to problems I just drop by the college and take a thumb drive load it up and ask for help, it works because they use the same software. I plan to take an advanced course this spring and get even better at it. I will never buy a software package from the same people that sell the training for it. BobCAD/CAM seams to never improve the program they just tweak it and sell another version. There is just way to much software to learn it all. I uninstalled my Bob CAD and it is setting in the book shelf unused now.
The $1000.00 lesson.
CH

Amazing. A friend of mine recommended BobCAD. He said it was easy to use.
I will forward him this thread.

Back