Anyone have a JET GHB-1340 from the 1980's have a question?

rodm1

Registered
Registered
Under the feed and speeds cover the oil holes on the vary right dues that use much oil? The next question under the saddle there seems to be a drain plug for the saddle is that in fact a drain? On higher RPM the auto feed seems way to fast is there a way to slow it down I have tried to change the gear box settings but the feed is more like threading.

Bellow is a photo of the version I'm working on.

Last edited:
A few drops of oil a day for the feed gearbox oil holes. If the bushings are worn, it will pass through pretty fast.

On the feed rate, check and see that the gear train input hasn't been changed. Three possibilities are the output gear on the tumbler (reversing) set, the input gear of the gearbox, and using the 123/100 gear reduction when it only should be used as a 123 tooth idler.

The lead screw should only be turning when threading. Finer feeds should always use the small drive shaft below it.

There are 2 ways to achieve longitudinal movement of the carriage. The first being the half nut engagement to the leadscrew .
That is accomplished by engaging or disengaging the lever aft of the carriage.
The second method uses the gearing internal of the carriage. The operation is by engaging and disengaging the lever central to the carriage. This lever controls both longitudinal carriage movement as well as the transverse movement of the cross slide dependent on which direction the lever is chosen. This feed will be finer than threading feeds.
There is a lever aft of the quick change gearbox that selects which shaft will ultimately transmit power through the carriage. The lever is presently in the threading mode. If you were to push that lever to the left, you would engage the fine feed selection.
The quick change gearbox selects the rate of travel . Left gear selector A and left gear selector 1 being the coarsest feed possible, E and 8 being the finest feed.

Last edited:
I’m having the same issue with my 1336, auto feed is way to fast! 31E6FD19-F5D6-442F-BAB0-FD6F09C97143.jpeg6948DBBF-3C7F-4482-A7CA-891B6036227C.jpeg

Back