Anyone have a G0705 mill/drill?

I just checked my G1008. The height with the top cover open is about 75in. You need to be able to open the cover if the G3103 is like my G1008 and does not have a spindle lock. I have to hold the spindle pulley to tighten or loosen the drawbar nut. Easy to do, but since I do this often I do not bother closing the cover.

height is no problem. garage ceiing is at least 10' Grizzly G3103roblem is getting it to the house then into the garage. That was why I was looking at benchtop stuff unless I could find something not much bigger.

What is your driveway like? Paved or stones? How much height difference between driveway and garage.

My drive is paved and I have about 1 1/2in step up from the driveway to the concrete floor of the garage. My machinist friend told me "no problem" - and happy to report he was correct.

I just needed to use a few pieces of black iron pipe. We used an engine hoist to get the mill from the trailer onto the pipe on the driveway, we then rolled the mill on the pipe, relocating a piece of pipe as it became free from the base.

Once we got to the driveway, I put down a piece of plywood, so we cut the height difference in half, then tilted the mill back to get the front of the base onto a piece of pipe on the plywood, then continued until we got to the concrete edge of the garage. Then tilted back again onto a piece of pipe on the concrete. Then continued.

You will need two people to do this safely for the tilting, also for the extra muscle. It can be done.

The benefit of floor standing is not having to lift the machine onto a bench. Never easy.

I wrote this then realised I missed the part in your reply where you have to get it into the house first, then the garage. Drat, not as easy as it was for me with access directly to the garage.

Bill, when you are ready to buy a mill, remember that there are people here on H-M that are willing and able to help you. Unfortunately, I am 3000 miles away, but plenty of others are close to you.

Reactions: Z2V
The problem with some of these is this.
1) Getting it to the house.
2) garage space is minimal so anything the size of a bridgeport or larger footprint is too big.

Bill I have a trailer good for +1000 pounds and a 2 ton motor hoist.
Just need to work on a schedule.

Besides, I'll have to get my "junk" out of your way..:grin big:

I moved my 8520 with nothing more than my Ford Fiesta! If you looked up the definition for PACKED, there was a picture of that car with the mill inside! And I did it all by hand!

I also have to find something that does not need a lot of work to be able to use it because of my health. The Pope looks like it would need a lot of work just to clean it up to use. The G3103 looks good but getting it to here is the problem.

The problem with some of these is this.
1) Getting it to the house.
2) garage space is minimal so anything the size of a bridgeport or larger footprint is too big.
Bill, just keep looking for something that you think will work well for you. I am pretty damned sure there is enough H-M member support in your part of the country to get it moved and installed. Just ask!

Back