Anyone Familiar With Onshape?

RodSME

Registered
Registered
I'm a long time user of SolidWorks. Since I'm retired and don't do much consulting anymore, my copy of SolidWorks 2013 is a bit out of date. It still works and I love it. The problem is that it is not compatible with Windows 10 and I'm afraid the world is heading there. I've watched a few tutorials for the online 3d CAD program, OnShape (onshape.com). It is an explicit modeler rather than history based. Has anybody used it and if so, how versatile is it? What are the limitations?

I'm surprised 2013 does not work. My ACAD 2002 still works with Windows 10. Ya know I understand there are technical reasons for some programs not working with later operating systems but it still feels like a conspiracy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read if you run the 32 bit win10 instead of the (usual) 64 bit install, that most of your older win programs will run ok ?since they probably are 32bit. ?

I chatted with a support person at Fisher-Unitech, my SolidWorks reseller. I asked if SW2013 would run on Win10. She said no. It had to be SW2015, Service Pack 5 or later. That's what I'm going by. The risk for me is to upgrade to Win10 and find out SW won't run any more. By the way, I'm running SW2013, 64bit. I'd love to hear from somebody that has actually done it.

Thanks for the ideas.

Rod

I'm not familiar with it, but I just talked to one of our engineers and seems most of our engineering department is using it at home.

I just signed up for the free version. Can't play with it right now, have to get home to my computer to use it. I'm going to play around with it this weekend. I'm told it's cloud based and you can have 10 private files, and I believe unlimited public files.

according to microsoft if it will run under windows 7 0r 8 it should run in 10

I never worked with any CAD software program until I took a class in Solidworks back in 2012. I've tried Draftsight, just couldn't get my head around it. Onshape is the most like Solidworks I've found, and I was drawing a solid model in minutes. It will be my go to program when I need to design something.

I'm a long time user of SolidWorks. Since I'm retired and don't do much consulting anymore, my copy of SolidWorks 2013 is a bit out of date. It still works and I love it. The problem is that it is not compatible with Windows 10 and I'm afraid the world is heading there. I've watched a few tutorials for the online 3d CAD program, OnShape (onshape.com). It is an explicit modeler rather than history based. Has anybody used it and if so, how versatile is it? What are the limitations?
Not familiar with that software but have used Sketch up and now using Fusion 360 and like it . For us h0bby types it is offered free - Jack

Back