1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Familiar With Onshape?

Discussion in 'DRAWING, LAYOUT & CAD' started by RodSME, Mar 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RodSME

RodSME United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Cape Coral
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I'm a long time user of SolidWorks. Since I'm retired and don't do much consulting anymore, my copy of SolidWorks 2013 is a bit out of date. It still works and I love it. The problem is that it is not compatible with Windows 10 and I'm afraid the world is heading there. I've watched a few tutorials for the online 3d CAD program, OnShape (onshape.com). It is an explicit modeler rather than history based. Has anybody used it and if so, how versatile is it? What are the limitations?

2. Chip Hacket

Chip Hacket United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Dallas
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

I'm surprised 2013 does not work. My ACAD 2002 still works with Windows 10. Ya know I understand there are technical reasons for some programs not working with later operating systems but it still feels like a conspiracy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncle harry likes this.
  3. juiceclone

juiceclone United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Boca Raton
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I have read if you run the 32 bit win10 instead of the (usual) 64 bit install, that most of your older win programs will run ok ?since they probably are 32bit. ?

4. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

It should run under compatibility mode.

kf4zht likes this.
  5. RodSME

City:
    Cape Coral
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I chatted with a support person at Fisher-Unitech, my SolidWorks reseller. I asked if SW2013 would run on Win10. She said no. It had to be SW2015, Service Pack 5 or later. That's what I'm going by. The risk for me is to upgrade to Win10 and find out SW won't run any more. By the way, I'm running SW2013, 64bit. I'd love to hear from somebody that has actually done it.

Thanks for the ideas.

Rod

6. alloy

alloy Always looking for the next tool score H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I'm not familiar with it, but I just talked to one of our engineers and seems most of our engineering department is using it at home.

I just signed up for the free version. Can't play with it right now, have to get home to my computer to use it. I'm going to play around with it this weekend. I'm told it's cloud based and you can have 10 private files, and I believe unlimited public files.

7. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

according to microsoft if it will run under windows 7 0r 8 it should run in 10

8. Andre

Andre Active User Active Member

City:
    NY
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I tried it, but just couldn't grasp it. I much prefer Fusion 360 or even Sketchup for simple stuff.

Nothing beats a sketch by hand though!

brino and 4gsr like this.
  9. jererp

jererp United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Petersburg
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I never worked with any CAD software program until I took a class in Solidworks back in 2012. I've tried Draftsight, just couldn't get my head around it. Onshape is the most like Solidworks I've found, and I was drawing a solid model in minutes. It will be my go to program when I need to design something.

10. coffmajt

coffmajt H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oklahoma City
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

Not familiar with that software but have used Sketch up and now using Fusion 360 and like it . For us h0bby types it is offered free - Jack

11. CraigB1960

CraigB1960 United States New Member Liaison Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

I'm watching this closely. I recently downloaded Fusion 360, which is free for hobby use. Seems to me to be easier than Solidworks and it runs on the Mac, which is important to me. Looks like Onshape runs on Mac and is free as well.

12. RodSME

City:
    Cape Coral
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Well, I finally made the switch to Windows 10. Had to because the free upgrade was ending end of July. I was told that SolidWorks 2013 wouldn't run on Windows 10. Anyway, had a consulting contract and spent the $ on SolidWorks 2016. Low and behold, when I switched to Windows 10, SolidWorks 2013 worked fine on it. (I got bad info from the support folks.) I still loaded up SolidWorks 2016. Bottom line, I don't have to think about switching to Onshape or any other free program, at least, not for a long time I hope.

4gsr likes this.