Anyone familiar with a burgmaster drill press?

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
I just bought an old burgmaster drill press and was trying to find out what if anything I should do before running it. I have the original manual . I have run it very briefly after checking the oil in the sight glass. The manual says that's all that's needed besides some oil on the slide. Does anyone have one of these? Anything I should or should not do with it? I don't want to damage anything after seeing the drawings in the manual.

I've got one. Unfortunately I don't have any tips for you other than making sure the cogged belt has the right tension or you'll destroy the belt. And as you know keep an eye on the oil level.

I haven't used mine much at all. It just sits in my garage on the floor for now untl I figure out where to put it. I don't really need it, just got it cause I came across it for a good price.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/burgmaster-turret-drill-press.26109/

I bought mine for the same reason. Actually i believe your post was the first time i saw a burgmaster. Mines a little different though perhaps smaller. Thanks I just reread your thread and it answered one question I had. I wasn't sure if the spindles were adjustable. But seems they all run different set speeds. And it's just the belt that changes high and low. Unfortunately my belt is already dead.

image.jpg

If they do I would gladly sell mine to the same buyer for that price. That's 4 time more than what I paid for mine.

The Burgmaster company has/had an interesting history- and a somewhat sad demise. Google it

There is a book about the company titled "When The Machine Stopped" by Max Holland ISBN 0-87584-244-5 Used copies can be found on Abebooks.com for about $3 + shipping. It won't help with the machine itself but it is an interesting read.

I read an article about them when I first saw these existed. Mine has Houdaille cast into it. So it was made after they bought the company.

Back