Anybody use a TSUBOSAN Japan Hardness Tester Checker File set?

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
I've been thinking about buying this set to check hardness after heat treating stuff in my shop. I use a torch and toaster oven for this and have been tempering by color. No real issues so far but I often wonder if I'm getting what I think I'm getting. I have no intention of getting a real hardness tester but this set seems like a good enough option that is reasonable in cost.

Here is a link that gives you more info. The cost is much cheaper on ebay: https://www.japanesetools.com.au/products/hardness-tester-6-pcs

Any experience with these?

I personally don't have a set or have ever used them but I have had my eye on a set. I see a number of the popular machining guys on YT use them as well as knifemakers.

Seems like Tsubosan is the only mfg for these. I see them in different cases, some in Japanese, some in English, & others with vendor branding but the handles all still say Tsubosan Made in Japan. But I wonder cause I see the same sets selling anywhere from $60 to $160.

Seems to me that someone, somewhere must have some coupons of known hardness who has tested these things. I looked but can't find a review like that. If I can't find a reliable review I may just have to stumble along in ignorant bliss.

Stefan Gotteswinter uses them regularly in his videos and they seem to do a nice job, I think his are in about 5 points RC intervals of hardness. They confirm you are in the ballpark...
The relevant part starts at 26:25.

That's a nice set. A little pricey for hobby use but a nice to have accessory in lieu of an $8K Mitutoyo digital hardness tester.
If I were making and selling tools, I would buy this set or just to check hardness out of curiosity.

I also work with silicone RTV rubber and plastics, so a Durometer gage would be handy too. Rex makes a nice set. Please let us know Mikey, if you decide to buy the file set. You're my "go to guy"when it comes to esoteric tools. Thanks for posting and thank you for all of your insight.

Thank Emilio. I'll certainly post a review if I buy it.

I picked up a set a while back. I had a few surprises when I used them to check a few 'hardened' items. They seem to work quite well.

Thanks, Hawkeye. I just ordered a set and we'll see how they fare.

Back