Anybody Need Iso 460 Gear Lube For A Burke Mill Master Motor.

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all,

Does anyone need ISO 460 (AGMA grade 7) gear lube for your Burke #4 milling machine gear box motor??

The primary brand name mentioned in the Masters engine manual for this style gear box is:

Mobil SCH 634 - a 140 wt synthetic gear box lube

This isn't available locally, and the petroleum suppliers only carry 5 gallon buckets or 55 gal drums. So I plan on buying a bucket of Chevron ISO 460 gear lube for my Burke #4 Master gear box motor. It takes about two quarts to change the oil, and I plan on keeping an additional 2 quarts in reserve. So I need maybe 1 gallon max for the rest of my life (1500 hrs service interval between oil changes). Seems like a waste to store the remaining 4 gallons for ever. So I could pass on the remaining 4 gallons (or individual quarts) to other Burke owners, if anyone is interested.

Price would be around $15 -$16 a quart, or maybe $50/ gal, plus shipping, depending on how much the containers might cost.

I checked, and this gear lube is NOT classified as a haz substance for shipping. So any shipping method will work.

If sufficient interest, I could pick up the lube and package the excess for shipment this week.

Please let me know if interested.

Thanks,
Glenn

Last edited:
You do not need to buy that brand oil in that big container, Glenn. You want 140 weight gear oil, but NOT hypoid. It is sold as GL-4 or GL-5/6. You should be able to buy that locally in quarts. Gear oil for an electric motor ain't rocket science...

what bob said ....... you should be able to get a quart bottle of 140 gear oil at any auto parts store or farm supply store.

Hi guys, Apparently from what I have read in the Master operators manual and the AGMA background material, there is a difference in additives and sometimes the base composition of gear box lube versus automotive gear lube. Gear box lube for example, is less viscous than automotive gear lube and performs differently in automotive applications than in electric motors. Certainly there is plenty of 75-140 wt automotive gear lube available, but it isn't rated for the Master motors gear box, that I can determine. Also, the ISO 460 lube primarily protects the gear reduction gears built into the master motor, and the different ratings correspond to ambient operating temperatures - with AGMA 5 and 6 being used in colder winter conditions, and AGMA 7 in hotter summer temps. Hence I've been trying to stay with the recommended specification ( the AGMA 7/ISO 460 rating) - which is available in my neck of the woods, but only in bulk.

I've sent off a question as to lube comparability to the company. Hopefully they will reply in a day or so, and I'll post whatever they advise as follow up...

Thanks much,
Glenn

Gears are gears. You want to stay away from oils for hypoid differentials, which have EP (extreme pressure) additives (sulfur compounds that will corrode yellow metals) to take the higher point loading that hypoid gears have. They specifically sell oil without those additives for manual steering gear boxes and manual transmissions. ISO 460 and 140 weight are simply viscosity numbers in two parallel systems, nothing else. But please suit yourself. It is your money and your motor...

I have a Master gear motor on mine. It has always had, does have, and always will have 140 gear oil without the additives ( not specified for use in newer vehicles). In fact, the tag on the gearbox simply says to use 140 gear oil. I get it from an auto supplier. It is in differentials in Model T fords. It is like molasses. I warm it up to pour it.

Well the plot thickens.

I called Master gear head motor service dept just now. They identified the motor as a 6:1 parallel unit manufactured in 1946. So this is a replacement motor for the original Burke (circa 1942).

They have no surviving service records that old for these motors, but say the earliest parrellel gear drive unit they do have, calls for SAE 40 transmission lube oil - not the 140 weight oil prescribed for the right angle AGP units. (SAE 30 weight for operation less than 50 F temps.)

So there is a big difference between 40 wt and 140 gear lube.

Any suggestions in which direction to err?

Thanks
Glenn

Well the plot thickens.

I called Master gear head motor service dept just now. They identified the motor as a 6:1 parallel unit manufactured in 1946. So this is a replacement motor for the original Burke (circa 1942).

They have no surviving service records that old for these motors, but say the earliest parrellel gear drive unit they do have, calls for SAE 40 transmission lube oil - not the 140 weight oil prescribed for the right angle AGP units. (SAE 30 weight for operation less than 50 F temps.)

So there is a big difference between 40 wt and 140 gear lube.

Any suggestions in which direction to err?

Thanks
Glenn
Go down to the local auto parts store and get a quart bottle of gear oil . That is all you need. They may call it 90 weight, but it is fine.

Mark, looks like that's what Iam going to do. A lot less expensive than chasing the non obtainiam 460 stuff. Thanks
Glenn

Back