Anybody got a Forney 140 FCi?

CJ5Dave

Registered
Registered
I bought a Forney 140 FCi at a yard sale the other day. The diffuser, tip and nozzle were missing. I downloaded the manual and ordered the Tweco part number pieces it called for. the diffuser is not even close - male to male threads. I found a female threaded diffuser on ebay that was also a Tweco number supposed to fit. Female thread, but will not thread on the gun. I took the diffuser to the parts store and it is neither M8 1.0, M8 1.25, 5/16 coarse or 5/16 fine. I have contacted Forney and they think they have the right thing, admit their manual is wrong. I am ordering a diffuser direct from them, but the gun end is not a standard thread either and the threads look like they need chasing. Would be great to know what thread the gun front end/diffuser is supposed to be. Forney does not know/won't tell what the correct thread is. I think it is made for them on contract in Italy. Old time hardware guy suggested 1/8 NPT but lots smaller than that. I imagine it is a metric something.

Forney got back to me this afternoon. Would you believe that diffuser/gun front end is 5/16 - 24 LEFT HAND? That explains why I could get nothing to work. The threads seem OK when threaded the correct direction. The little welder seems to work OK, but a bit of a transition from my old Airco 450 amp mig. I have to complement Forney, we corresponded with 8 or 10 emails, service talked to the technical people, they pulled a diffuser out of stock and physically tried it on a new welder. I had a chance at the same sale to buy the Forney or a Harbor Freight welder of the same size and I chose the Forney because I was hoping to get service if needed. I was right.

Back