Anybody Ever Drilled And Tapped A Ball Bering?

If you want to try again you may luck out by wrapping the balls in stainless steel sheet: well sealed, then heat. A hole lot less scale / dis-coloration. Some thing like heat treating in a SS envelope. Hope this helps out.

Mercury quench? Huh. How may people have that much HG? Why me of course, but I think I will pass on that one for now.
Ya , good idea but I only had 5lbs on hand with additional 20 available. Mercury requires extreme caution!! I had the proper ventilation system.

You can make your burnt black balls shiny again with some scotchbrite.

Problem solved. Saw the threads off one end of the shafts rethread to something from this planet buy nice shney balls from Mc Master Carr to match threads voila. Had fun heating bearings though that was kind cool. Think i'll see whats on the DVR

Ya , good idea but I only had 5lbs on hand with additional 20 available. Mercury requires extreme caution!! I had the proper ventilation system.
I bet you are on the radar scope with the EPA, too! That is one element I would not have in my possession, ever!
Guys, please be careful with that stuff!

I had about 12# s of Mercury. I found it in the shop of the house we moved into. I gave it to the hospital for disposal.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

I bet you are on the radar scope with the EPA, too! That is one element I would not have in my possession, ever!
Guys, please be careful with that stuff!
Really? Why would you think that?
I just bought some not long ago. Maybe 2 years ago. You don't need any license, it's not hard to find, & there is no hoops to jump. My only use so far for it has been in my carb synchrometer & the filings in my teeth.

I've read about coating taps with it a few times. Seems that it must not be that uncommon.

Last edited:
Really? Why would you think that?
I just bought done not long ago. Maybe 2 years ago. You don't need any license, it's not hard to find, & there is no hoops to jump. My only use so far for it has been in my carb synchrometer & the filings in my teeth.

I've read about coating taps with it a few times. Seems that it must not be that uncommon.
The hazards of mercury are greatly exaggerated. Mercury vapor is toxic but it boils at 674F so there isn't going to be enough vapor around at room temperature to poison you.. The metal cannot be absorbed through skin. Just don't boil it or eat it and don't pour it down the drain (it can react with naturally-occuring chemicals in sediment to form toxic compounds). Some mercury compounds are very toxic but then so are some carbon compounds.

I have in my collection at least 5 mercury filled plumb bobs by B&S. It really is an over rated material. It was banned primarily because of the probability children getting into it.

"Billy G"

I have in my collection at least 5 mercury filled plumb bobs by B&S. It really is an over rated material. It was banned primarily because of the probability children getting into it.

"Billy G"
I know it doesn't get used as often anymore but I didn't know it was baned. I know there are regulations against dumping it & people get frantic about it. What kind of ban is on it?

Back