1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Ever Drilled And Tapped A Ball Bering?

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by Vegemitesandwich, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Andre

Andre Active User Active Member

City:
    NY
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I have not, but I did know about the toy kit that actually included some real plutonium!

4gsr likes this.
  2. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

All I know is I played with Mercury many times when I was a kid. And my doctor says I'm just fine. Really I am.

3. Farmboy1

Farmboy1 Canada Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Hanna
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

As a worker in a coal fired power plant for the past over ten years I can say that yes there is mercury released from burning coal but at a rate of about 4litres per year burning about 6 million tons of coal a year, not to mention the mercury is the naturally occurring stuff that came out of the ground in the coal in the first place then we put in activated carbon injection systems that remove 98% of the mercury so it goes out cleaner than it came in. At least I go gome with only two eyeballs as far as I know!!!

4gsr likes this.
  4. whitmore

whitmore United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Shoreline
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I'll choose not to believe aluminum (something like eight percent of the Earth's crust
    is aluminum, we grow all our food in it). The tailings,
    though, from copper mining are a rather lifeless selection of landscapes.

For sure, keep copper-alloy swarf out of any cut...
    The big hazard from aluminum, is that technically it's flammable
    so the dust from sawing/grinding has to be kept in control. Titanium likewise, if you
    ever grind something that exotic.

5. whitmore

City:
    Shoreline
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

A nice hardened steel ball CAN be drilled, with an EDM (or ultrasonic
    tools with abrasive slurry). If I wanted one drilled and tapped, I'd
    press a knurled threaded insert into an EDM'd hole.

brino and RJSakowski like this.
  6. Vegemitesandwich

Vegemitesandwich United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Humble
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Dust from the porta-band is pretty fine. I have tried to light it to no avail even with cutting torch.

7. Four Corners

Four Corners Canada Iron Registered Member

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

Agreed. I've done this as well. The balls go black from the heating, but it can be cleaned off easily enough. I'm making some ball joints for a delta 3d printer using BBs. Don't even think about using HSS tools on the balls unless they have been softened. Money down the u-bend immediately. There's a discussion about using ball bearings in a vise to take up slop and account for odd shapes. I posted a link to a YouTube video in which the fellow has a very clever way of holding the balls in a lathe. I would post a link to that discussion, if I knew how to. Try to find the discussion and scroll down to the YouTube vid.

8. samthedog

samthedog Norway Active User Active Member

City:
    Hvittingfoss
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Not entirely correct. Some aluminium alloys are found but aluminium on it's own is quite rare. You are probably refering to bauxite which is plentiful. Aluminium can be dangerous in nano-particle size as it can pass through the blood-brain barrier via the olfactory nerve (the nerve that carries the signals responsible for your sense of smell to the brain) where it contributes to lesions in the brain causing alzheimers:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0946672X16303777

Aluminium is also bad for for DNA replication as it damages the DNA and this can be the result from ingested aluminium. Here is some more info:

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1076&tid=34

I wouldn't read too much into the statement that it exists naturally - naturally it is very rare and it's a very technical process to extract it from bauxite:

http://aluminium.org.au/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=42259

And the by-product of which is sodium flouride which is highly toxic and interferes with calcium metabolism and as a result the heart and circulatory system (which could explain the higher rates of cardiac disease since sodium flouride's introduction into oral hygeine products).

It's increasingly found in nature, however science is apperently powerless to find out how it's getting there. The recent prevelance of aluminium is argued to be contributing to the skyrocketing rates of Alzheimers and it also seems to be a contributing factor in the demise of bees:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0127665

9. cathead

cathead Active User Active Member

City:
    Bemidji
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I don't know about the rest of Hobby Machinist land but in northern Minnesota there are daily displays of chemtrails
    spewing micro particles of aluminum and or barium and who knows what else.

As long as I'm off topic, if you mix 3 parts of iron oxide with one part of fine aluminum, you have a mixture that will burn
    really hot and vigorously I might add. Temperatures can reach 4500 degrees Farenheit. The railroad uses this to weld
    track sections together(Thermite). I havn't tried this yet but am considering it. You can fire it off with a sparkler...

10. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Back to drilling holes....I have a 1" ball bearing on the end of a rod, as a handle to rotate my four-tool. I drilled through the hard skin with carbide, drilled a No. 7 in about half an inch, tapped it 1/4-20, and screwed my handle into it. This was back in the '70s.

11. whitmore

City:
    Shoreline
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

In referring to '8 percent', I meant that eight percent, by weight, of the Earth's crust
    is aluminum atoms. They aren't atoms in native pure metal, but in other compounds.
    Washita sharpening stones are nearly pure aluminum oxide, bauxite is just
    the most economical ore for making pure metal.

The electron microprobes of Alzheimers' plaques that showed aluminum content, were
    not finding metal, just atoms. The original findings have been traced to tissue preparation
    materials, so the aluminum is not a likely culprit in the malady. It certainly is not
    a known toxin.

The CDC link is full of guarded language, but one statement is clear:
    "You cannot avoid exposure to aluminum because it is so common and widespread in the environment."

12. samthedog

samthedog Norway Active User Active Member

City:
    Hvittingfoss
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Aluminium oxide and bauxite are not aluminium - aluminium is the metal in it's pure and refined state. To illustrate my point, you can ingest arsenic found in certain compounds reasonably safety because it is bonded, but this in no way means arsenic is safe. As this report states regarding aluminium and AD(Alzheimers Disease):

" However, recent reports concerning sporadic AD [12] and environmental [13] and occupational [14] exposure to aluminium have allowed the conclusion to be drawn that, under certain conditions, it is inevitable that aluminium will contribute towards AD [11] ; [15]. The suggestion is made that wherever in the brain the concentration of aluminium is pathologically-concerning (>2.00 μg/g dry wt.) that this aluminium will contribute towards any ongoing AD and will result in the disease being earlier in onset with a more aggressive aetiology [15]."
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0946672X16303777

Considering this report was published in March 2017 and has been peer reviewed by the medical community, the link seems pretty conclusive. Anyway, that's enough OT posts from me. Each person is responsible for their own health and safety.

Paul.