Anybody Ever Drilled And Tapped A Ball Bering?

Vegemitesandwich

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
In retrospect I probably should have picked a more forgiving material.

i have not, but i imagine if it can be cut with carbide- it can be done!

(do you come from the land down under? :))

I haven't done it but you might try heating it up and take the temper out of it.
I have had some success with hardened material using this method. Ball bearing may be another story.

Jon.

I bought a 304 stainless bearing and tried to drill it. I used carbide and had no success at all. I didn't even know 304 could be hardened. I also tried heating it orange hot for three or four cycles without effect.
R

Yeah, I've drilled and shafted a few for a purely cosmetic use. These were from a assorted size bag of loose bearings I bought on Ebay.

As long as you don't care if it's hard or not, just heat it up until it's red, let it cool, chuck it up on the lathe and drill. Maybe you want to use a tool to put a flat spot for the drill.

Drilled, yes; tapped, no.

I have successfully drilled ball bearings on a number of occasions with carbide bits. The smallest hole was about .030" the largest about .250". I did the drilling with the lathe

I would not expect to be able to tap them with HSS taps.

Drilled, yes; tapped, no.

I have successfully drilled ball bearings on a number of occasions with carbide bits. The smallest hole was about .030" the largest about .250". I did the drilling with the lathe

I would not expect to be able to tap them with HSS taps.
A nasty way to tap,(dangerous), heat your tap,not to cherry red but tan in color then plunge into mercury till cool. It will cut most any thing BUT it is very dangerous due to fumes and possible tap fracturing if hole is at 75%; go for 50- 60%.

Yea, well prime example of not thinking things through. I heated them reentry hot then let them sit sure they drill and tap now but I wanted shiny balls. As for the store bought balls I need a bastard thread .5-12, .5-13 and 20 easy

A nasty way to tap,(dangerous), heat your tap,not to cherry red but tan in color then plunge into mercury till cool. It will cut most any thing BUT it is very dangerous due to fumes and possible tap fracturing if hole is at 75%; go for 50- 60%.
Mercury quench? Huh. How may people have that much HG? Why me of course, but I think I will pass on that one for now.

Back