any suggestions on selecting a surface plate?

There was a time when I was considering a surface plate from Shars. In my case I was looking for one a bit larger at 24" x 36". All the specs sounded good, but the shipping added considerably more to the price. In the end I purchased a used 24" x 36" Challenge cast iron plate locally for less than it would have cost to have the Shars plate shipped to my shop.

The Challenge plate came from a shop I worked at over 10 years ago. As it turned out when the shop closed they sold the plate along with most of the machinery and tools (which included 2 granite plates and the one cast iron plate) to a former fellow employee. He didn't need three 24" x 36" plates, so to give it a good home he sold me the Challenge for $100.00. The best part is that it was certified less than 3 years ago. I'm sure the certification cost more than I paid for the plate.

I guess my points are that there may be good plates available locally at minimum cost, and be sure to find out what the shipping charge is before committing to a specific seller. Often times the shipping can raise the price above a little more expensive one found locally. Shipping from the Chicago area to California could be pricey.

In our area there are currently 5 plates available on Craigslist. They range in size from 18" x24" to 36" x 48". There's even a 18" x 24" granite one with a built in height gauge for $140.00.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/d/black-granite-surface-plate/6301371829.html

Back