Any Reason To Have Reverse Atlas Milling Machine?

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I may finally be getting back to working on my Atlas mill. I have 3 different 1/2 hp motors I can choose from. One motor that would be my first choice is not reversible (but it is 2 speed) , luckily it is the correct direction. Would there be any advantage of using a reversible motor?

I may finally be getting back to working on my Atlas mill. I have 3 different 1/2 hp motors I can choose from. One motor that would be my first choice is not reversible (but it is 2 speed) , luckily it is the correct direction. Would there be any advantage of using a reversible motor?
I don't have reverse on my mill and have never suffered for the lack of it. More speeds, on the other hand, are always good.

BTW pretty much any single phase motor is reversible if you are willing to dig in far enough. With most it's easy.

I can't really think of anything.

FWIW, any AC or DC motor I can think of that might be used on a machine tool can be reversed. However, if the necessary wires aren't already brought out, it is just more difficult.

I agree, more speed selections would be more useful than a reverse feature. imho!

Left hand drills.
I've also got a left hand fly cutter. It allows me to change where I stand, and change the target area for hot chips.

More speed selection is good.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the replies, it looks like this will be my choice since it seems reverse isn't a big deal.

This is a Century capacitor start 2 speed AC motor with a standard 56 frame. I just checked and it has a label that says "Motor will burn out if direction or voltage is wrong" and an arrow showing correct direction. I wonder if this warning is for cooling.

I know it runs on high speed but I haven't actually checked it on low speed yet. I believe it may have come from a pool pump. I was wrong it is not 1/2hp but rather 3/4hp @ 1725 RPM and 0.25hp @ 1140 RPM. The other two motors are single speed 1/2hp 1725 RPM.

My current woodworking project will be wrapped up in a few days so I hope to get back to this soon.

I'd be interested in how this works out for you. I'm curious as to the torque level at the lower speed. Can't wait for the outcome! LOL.

I'd be interested in how this works out for you. I'm curious as to the torque level at the lower speed. Can't wait for the outcome! LOL.

The old Atlas catalogs show a 1/3hp motor for the Atlas mill. I would expect that if an original 1/3 hp motor worked ok at higher speeds (belt ratios) this motor running at low speed (1/4hp) and lower belt ratios or back gears would be fine. I already have the motor and a switch so if it doesn't work out I will just leave it switched to high speed and all it costs me is a few more wires :)

I hope to post pictures and progress reports when I do get back to this project.

I would say that unless you have a bunch of left hand cutters laying around it's probably not worth having the reversability. I have bought some left hand cutters in lots from eBay but I can always use them on my vertical mill. I don't think the motor on my Atlas is reversible.

Back