Any Pen makers out there! Die and tap suppliers

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello Pen-Making members-

I am helping my cousin, who just got a Sherline, but has for a year or so been turning "kit" pens.
He is now moving into "kitless" pens, possibly for sale to the general public.

He is trying to find the Taps an Dies required- namely 12/.75 single start, and the 12/.8 "Triple Start", metric taps and dies required to screw the caps on quickly.
He is thinking of the 12 x .75 tap/die for both. I suggested the 12/8 triple start, since it sounds like what the "pros" would use.

Anyone use these? What types of threads do you use in your pens?
Where do you source these taps and dies?

I really appreciate ANY advice or sharing of experience here.

Thanks!

Bernie

it's something that I have been planning on doing in the far future (making kitless pens and turn the hardware for it), but haven't gotten to it as of yet. thanks for bringing this up. I actually haven't gotten far enough for even search for these taps - I guess it's time I do that :) I'll return with any valuable findings ...

ok, I need to ask because a search tuned up very little: what does a triple start vrs double start indicate as far as the geometry is concerned ? where does one find one of each ?
davidh

ok, I need to ask because a search tuned up very little: what does a triple start vrs double start indicate as far as the geometry is concerned ? where does one find one of each ?
davidh

I am not familiar with any taps/dies that can do this personally (hence I will have to search for it), but I know how to do this with single-point threading on the lathe. you basically start the threading operation in different points creating double the threads for a given setting (example- a 8tpi setting at two-start will create 16 tpis but with the same 8tpi thread angle). this creates more thread surface/friction and a better holding power, while still making screw operation fast, so a 8tpi double start will have holding power of a 16tpi, but will still screw on/off as fast as a 8tpi.

here are some geometry pics showing single start (standard taps/dies, and the common single-point threading on the lathe where you always start at the same spot on the threading-indicator), double, triple, and quadruple start threads:
Fig_6.jpg

some more info:
vardex-thread-milling-thread-turning-main-catalog-176420_130b.jpg

Fig_6.jpg vardex-thread-milling-thread-turning-main-catalog-176420_130b.jpg

davidh

A triple-start-tapped pen cap would take only part of a turn to remove (or at least fewer turns) since the threads are so course. Just think of a course thread, but cut to a shallow depth. This allows room to put other threads "in between", I guess you could say.

http://www.neme-s.org/Multi_Start_Threads/multi_start_threading.htm

http://www.zimmerdental.com/Products/Implants/im_tsvFBTaperedBody.aspx

I am just not familiar with cutting them. And my cousin is far less familiar with tapping etc.

Bernie

Hello Pen-Making members-

I am helping my cousin, who just got a Sherline, but has for a year or so been turning "kit" pens.
He is now moving into "kitless" pens, possibly for sale to the general public.

He is trying to find the Taps an Dies required- namely 12/.75 single start, and the 12/.8 "Triple Start", metric taps and dies required to screw the caps on quickly.
He is thinking of the 12 x .75 tap/die for both. I suggested the 12/8 triple start, since it sounds like what the "pros" would use.

Anyone use these? What types of threads do you use in your pens?
Where do you source these taps and dies?

I really appreciate ANY advice or sharing of experience here.

Thanks!

Bernie

Several years ago, a group of penmakers got together and did a group buy for a tap/die set to match one of the nicer rollerball/fountain pen kits available so they could go kitless. It was a special order so they needed quite a few people to make the price bearable. E-Taps made the taps and dies. The size on the packaging is "M12x2.4 (P0,8)" and "M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L". I'm 99% sure they are triple start.

You may be able to contact E-Taps and get a set more reasonably than we did since they've done it before. If not, you may be able to find someone still on the penmakers forum (International Association of Penturners - http://www.penturners.org/forum/ )that has a set and willing to part with it. I haven't been to the site in quite some time, but I'm sure they're still active.

Good luck,
Lee

Back