Any Ideas on a cheap Move from Knoxville TN to Phoenix AZ of a 1100# lathe ?

azdesertman

Registered
Registered
I bought a lathe.

A SB 10L with the cabinet stand for those who are curious.

I am trying to avoid driving out and back the 2800 miles.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced way to get it from Knoxville TN to Phoenix?

The party I bought it from thought that it being on a cart like the lumber carts at the "big orange" or
"big blue" box stores ,without the rails, would be of help moving it.
I don't plan on pushing it across country.
Although he sounds like a real nice guy, he doesn't know the first thing about what to do about the handles, protecting the lead screw, etc.
No crime in being ignorant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John
Phoenix, AZ

I am just 40 miles from Knoxville. But I feel your pain on how to get it to you. Good luck and if you finally get it home I
hope you enjoy the lathe.

there are plenty of threads about this on Practical Machinist and your new lathe might be sufficiently "non-hobbyist" for you to post about it on there. I think the general idea is to find an independent flat bed trucker that's going in the right direction with some space left on the bed. It'll need bolting to a solid pallet, but that approach seems less prone to the kind of damage machinery gets in enclosed trailers, which in turn would require it to be bolted to a solid pallet AND heavily boxed up to the point where it can resist a stray fork lift fork or getting rolled.

Freight costs tend to go by weight and that's not an especially heavy lathe, so you're probably looking at $300-500 at a very rough guess. There are also brokers that will hook you up with a truck going in the right direction. That's about all I know about it!

I have intentions to go to New York and to Road island. I Could possibly pick up you machine on the way back, and that would bring it to Flagstaff. We then could discuss if you wanted to pick it up here or have me bring it to you in Phoenix. Don't have a date set for the trip yet except possibly in Feb. You can PM me if this interest you.

Tim

John,
That's a nice offer there by Tim. If'n that angle doesn't work out you might look into uship.com . Everything on there from individuals like Tim travelling with empty trailers to the big freight haulers. I've had good results using Fastenal's 3PL shipping, but this might be bigger than they want to handle :dunno:.
Best of luck with it!
Wes

Back