Any First Robotics Mentors For High School Robotic Teams?

Titusbeitzel

Registered
Registered
I volunteer as a mentor for our local high school robotics team. They compete with an organization called FIRST Robotics and their kick off to the season starts today. Today they will reveal a game which each of the 6000 high school teams across the USA will need to design and build a robot to compete with in 6 weeks! It is a great way to get involved in the community and help introduce high school kids to the hobbies of machining, welding, design, engineering, pneumatics, electrical, etc.... Most all of these teams are looking for volunteer mentors with these skills to work the the kids during the 6 week build season and competition season.

I would be interested in hearing about other peoples experiences in mentoring a FIRST team or other school robotics teams.

I will upload some pictures of the robots that these teams have built in a 6 week period.

I help mentor for FRC971 Spartan Robotics. My daughter started in 8th grade with FLL. I coached that year because no other parent would step up. I had no idea what I was doing but we had a great time and won a few awards. She then joined the high school FRC team in 2011 and continued through her senior year. She is now in college but I still help the team.

I'm not an engineer but I bring a practical knowledge that a lot of others do not have or have not developed yet. I help with manufacturing, teaching students how to use tools, among other things. We purchased a lathe a few years ago and I setup the training program and teach the students how to use it.

It is an amazing program and tons of fun to be part of.

What team are you with?

This is my favorite robot they built. They called it Mammoth!

Mammoth.jpg

Started in 2001. Team 250. Haven't had the time to mentor - work travel tends to keep me away unfortunately. One of the best STEM programs hands down.

I am on my 15 year at team 599 in Granada Hills Ca. Great program and I like the time line that the team must build there robot in. Dead lines make this competion ttuff with a 6 week build window. Check out Frist robotics 2017 game reveal to check out this years game
Dave Paulson

I have attached a few pictures of some of the robots that our team has built. I have been a mentor for team 1629 of Accident Maryland for the past 11 years. If any of you have a chance to do this it is very rewarding. I have had the privilege of watching many kids come into the program in their freshman year with no mechanical experience and leave after their senior year having designed, assembled, wired, programmed and installed the pneumatics in the robot. Not only can they do it in their senior year, they are also showing the freshmen how to do it and explaining to them why they do it. It is a very good program. It also helps push me an keep my skills honed! Let's pass this fun hobby to the next generation!

856.JPG 788.JPG 2014-02-08_13-32-31_703.jpg 2014-02-08_13-32-41_991.jpg View attachment 143474

I help mentor for FRC971 Spartan Robotics. My daughter started in 8th grade with FLL. I coached that year because no other parent would step up. I had no idea what I was doing but we had a great time and won a few awards. She then joined the high school FRC team in 2011 and continued through her senior year. She is now in college but I still help the team.

I'm not an engineer but I bring a practical knowledge that a lot of others do not have or have not developed yet. I help with manufacturing, teaching students how to use tools, among other things. We purchased a lathe a few years ago and I setup the training program and teach the students how to use it.

It is an amazing program and tons of fun to be part of.

What team are you with?

This is my favorite robot they built. They called it Mammoth!

View attachment 143471
That is a nice looking robot! Nice work! I also enjoyed the robot build that year. I am with team 1629 Accident, Maryland.

I am on my 15 year at team 599 in Granada Hills Ca. Great program and I like the time line that the team must build there robot in. Dead lines make this competion ttuff with a 6 week build window. Check out Frist robotics 2017 game reveal to check out this years game
Dave Paulson
When I was first introduced to the program 11 years ago I thought the build time frame was crazy! I am now with you. It is amazing what you can get done when you have a dead line!

When I think of thee months and sometimes years it took us as a Fortune 500 company to bring a project from idea to completion and these teams accomplish it all in six weeks! They are amazing!

The product development teams out in the business world had better watch out.

Ihelped for several years on a local team tried to teach high school kids how to machine it was fun but a lost cause then work got in the way bill

Back