1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Any Boxford owners out there?

Discussion in 'BOXFORD, MYFORD, DENFORD VICEROY, EMCO & UNIMAT MACHINES' started by Grandtools, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Grandtools

Grandtools United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Pittsburgh
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I just picked up a Boxford VSL lathe. Interesting machine based on South bend design, but with a lot of improvements. I'm looking for a steady rest, I understand one from a South Bend will fit the bed, but I'm guessing the center height would be a bit off as this is a 10" machine and the 10K swing is less than 10" Anyone know if they were ever sold here in the US? I hardly see anything listed on US ebay for them.

2. wa5cab

wa5cab Downloads Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Grand,

I don't know the answers to any of your questions but would suggest you repeat your questions in the parts and tooling classified forum down at the bottom of the Forum list.

Robert D.

3. xalky

xalky United States Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Naugatuck
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Google tools4cheap. He might have some reproductions that'll fit your lathe. Jeff there is a good guy and helpful. He has a lot of southbend stuff.

4. Grandtools

City:
    Pittsburgh
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I'm not interested in any reproduction stuff as his stuff is all made in China.

5. Mike Cole

Mike Cole Iron Registered Member

City:
    Wallasey

-Return to Top-

I had a Boxford AUD and currently a Boxford gearhead with a 10 inch swing. I was given a steady rest from a 9 inch swing boxford and I just made a sort of slipper to raise the center height of the rest.

Mike

6. Grandtools

City:
    Pittsburgh
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I did see a steady on ebay UK, but not sure how much cost or even if the seller would ship it to US. I didn't know they made a gear head, sounds like my kind of machine, I like gears.

7. Mike Cole

Mike Cole Iron Registered Member

City:
    Wallasey

-Return to Top-

Hi Here is a link to Tony's website about the gearhead Boxfords.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxfordmodern

They are loverly machines to work on. A very rigid modern design for their size.

Mike

PS
    I find that Tonys website www.lathes.co.uk is my first port of call whenever I need infor about just any machine tool.

8. Grandtools

City:
    Pittsburgh
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Nice looking machines, so now there's another lathe I can "lust" over.

9. 1st Cav Craig

1st Cav Craig United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Bellevue
    State:
    Nebraska

-Return to Top-

Just finished purchasing and moving a Boxford VSL lathe. I plan to power it with a rotary phase converter and 5hp idler motor. I really lucked out on the idler motor, got a new one-in the box for $100 from a food machinery supplier. Now waiting for electrician to come and wire mybasement. Also have a full complement of tooling that came with it including a full set of Burnerd collets and handle that I will probably never use. Anyway, looking forward to getting set up and making chips.

10. ghostdncr

ghostdncr United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Louisville
    State:
    Kentucky

-Return to Top-

11. Mike Hulme

Mike Hulme United Kingdom Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Liverpool
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

If the VSL bed is the same as the AUD/BUD/CUD bed then the ,fixed steady from one of those will fit. A friend of mine has one and I think he will sell it. If you can't get one your side of the pond let me know and I'll contact him.

Mike

12. 1st Cav Craig

1st Cav Craig United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Bellevue
    State:
    Nebraska

-Return to Top-

Finally got my wiring finished and ready to move in the lathe. i need to get it down a 12ft flight of stairs. i plan on making a skid of three pieces of two by fours temporarily screwed onto the stair steps and carefully slide her down with a winch. Anyone ever try this? Also does anyone have any experience powering by a rotary phase converter to get three phase power? Getting very anxious to try her out but I think I have decided to sell the complete collet set with handle as I figure I will never use them and someone who collects or wants to complement their Boxford could make good use of them. They are near new, used very little.