Any AR-15 "scratch" builders here?

Hey bob tactical machine 80% are top notch cerro forging with key hole forging marks I have 50 for this years manufactured rifles 4 my 07 license, while I agree raw forging are a fun challenge cost wise 80% makes more sense.

Justin Bowerman
JB Enterprise
07 FFL in central CA.

Hey willie no post in a while, interested in seeing how it is coming along, i'm thinking about getting brave and doing one out of brass what ya think aught to be pretty all polished out like kinda gold bling. ``

Justin Bowerman
JB Enterprise
07 FFl in Central CA.

Looks nice. keep us up to date with all the fitting work you need to do.

Tony, it's done already. I test fit each part in the receiver as I went along, before breaking down the set-up in the mill and moving on to the next cut to be made.
Everything fits beautifully. Actually, I will still need to fit the rear of the trigger to the selector when I install the fire control group - but I don't want to do that until after the anodizing is done.

It's not perfect cosmetically, but I'm happy that it came out as well as it did for a first blind attempt. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off without making a paper weight. The next one (serial #2) will go much better I'm sure, now that I know what NOT to do. :cool:

Looks great to me. I've been sitting on 4 forgings for several years, wait for a RounTuIt to come my way.

I know what you mean. I sat on these two for 2 -3 years as well. Always something else that had to taken care of first.
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, because I just picked up another one. I got a sudden urge for a slab-sided receiver for a retro build. :shrugs:

One thing is definitely in order though. I need to get a set of letter/number stamps. Having these things engraved costs a small fortune if you don't own your own pantograph. :scared:

Re: Any AR-15 "scratch" builders here?

I have a 0% forging.
It's pretty difficult to get the top deck milled on my little clausing mill.:thinking: I have an 8520. I'm just an amateur, so maybe it's in my technique.
The 80% ones are a piece of cake! I can crank one out in about 2 hours.
Anodizing is the next step.

Re: Any AR-15 "scratch" builders here?

I have a 0% forging.
It's pretty difficult to get the top deck milled on my little clausing mill.:thinking: I have an 8520. I'm just an amateur, so maybe it's in my technique.
Hi, welcome to the forums!
Stop by the Welcome Center and introduce yourself to the group. :)

What technique are you using that is causing you difficulty?

th_P8080090.jpg

th_P8080090.jpg

th_P8080090.jpg

Back