Antique Tap And Die

Laytonnz

Registered
Registered
I was given this antique tap and die set it has Mathison - Glasgow with a Cresent and star mark

I've had a look around on the Internet and i think it's over 150 years old still a complete set in its original box!
Looks like I'll have to give it some tlc!

Has anybody seen or have a set like this? 20161009_211644.jpg

Layton

What do people think on what to do with it?

1. Leave it as it is with 150 years of patina as an unused tap and die set?

2. Give it some love, take off the rust, light coat of WD40? Do something with the wood?

Personally I would want to clean it up - it looks like a quite interesting set and the patina isn't something that adds to its appeal to me. Personal preference though so whichever look you prefer.

Does the box have a lid too?

My Dad had the same; he used to thread pipe in his dairy farm supply co.. I would de-rust and use "Ospho" by Skyco,this will give the metal light gray color and does a good job in preventing rust. A little pure carnoba wax rub in after the Ospho will give a LONG lasting finish. Wish I kept my Dad's but what does a 19 yr. know.

Just thought I'd get some answers on the restoration part. Classic conflict with this type of thing and not just this one.

Resellers and restorers would say don't do anything.

Keeping it and maybe using it people would clean it up.

Nice to see an old set. Also interesting to see that even back then not all of the tap and thread items get use just like today, just the common ones!

if you have EVAPORUST available, i'd suggest giving it a go- not hazardous
it's very simple to use, just soak for a day or 2 and rinse with water
Electrolytic rust removal with a carbon anode is very effective as well- use washing soda as the electrolyte component- not hazardous, the electrolyte can be spread on your lawn after it has served it's purpose.
Naval Jelly and other Phosphoric Acid media work quickly, leaves a phosphate layer that resists rusting for a short while.- it can burn eyes and skin- slightly hazardous
a (heavy) vinegar, (light) water mixture will also remove rust- not hazardous
Sulfuric and Hydrocloric acids can also be diluted in water to remove rust as well- mildly hazardous, you'll need a disposal plan

DSCN1617.jpg
I have something similar but much much smaller and not complete. The area where the taps were kept has been opened up to store the tap handle.
As what to do with yours. Antique collectors would leave it as is. My love of tools tells me to clean it up as it would be very impressive on display in
your shop.

Back