[Lathe] Antique Seneca Falls - Crown Metal Lathe

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I got the deal of a lifetime over the weekend, for $100,
i got an antique early Seneca Falls metal lathe that was sold under the Crown banner.
it still bears the distributors name, Pacific Tool & Supply SF, CA.
i'm believing it to be pre 1900.
there is a modern motor and v belt pulleys that have been added, but the rest of the lathe looks like it's very nicely preserved with only a few spots of patina on a couple parts of the bed, that will easily metal scrape off.
there is no longitudinal feed, the machine is operated manually.
the compound is manually set and has a very long travel.
it has a 4 Jaw independent chuck, & lamp post toolholder
the tailstock is cam locked with a really cool bed locking mechanism.
a very innovative feature for a lathe of this age is the TS quill, it can be operated by leadscrew or by quick feeding handle.
it ran from a flat belt when it was produced.
there is very little wear anywhere on the lathe.
it won't take but a little bit to make it work again,
scraping the bed in will take a bit longer....

May i introduce you to Agatha

9X28" between centers.
RZnINl9BfgaUvukslcAi3fvkoJhGWyIMwCaVGTo8KD3ENIryQ3QBuYaLO5nICxABWxpfyyVrstHZYmUUv0w=w640-h298-no.jpg
3peEAydK65T7ho7qhBGg6WSXlwgvWqWda1v6OQ43y3HACOjl2bpm-QBnsP-dEYVvjhpEhV_s9fHa47Dj0MA=w640-h490-no.jpg
N8Vjy-u3Su4LRbbqpgejUzdROBD0VElTx2FvFFYqz0AbfIxWxDkIBgug_q0IPcrU2J0PKMx15xU204KgLS0=w512-h384-no.jpg
YGhgZ3sqcYaDtagKBEcPQ9hnPHsLJC2RDFiy-dCeMpVw-RheeUvU3Kk6BHDtvXvsaQ0a3UKoksGXVnBMdVI=w640-h368-no.jpg
kLae7MM2gBc0f6o-t7lkQV7677WowvKa2uD87YBBn4ZV8qOqyLVrFSriz8myyVrPIAq6lqknQsav22lno-o=w640-h618-no.jpg
M34-zawfSMVU_jaSpUmmBNhzkI2PGafdF9J8seSI7qdkUgYtO2WIlfowpnirHNZB2vgcMNimZTiVl2uX01Y=w640-h496-no.jpg
NWoaJpJXtKMgbikMPYozCNe7630hDrf2XFaooFeu_rMr2jGjUZ7jADpacDOrWA63T06cmhPxHFSmpzHvq9Q=w616-h640-no.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, Mike! So, how many lathes does this bring you up to? Or have you lost track?... 8^)

Nice find Mike. Looking forward to seeing the finished work!

had one but a lot larger as i think back it was a 5' bed, 10 or 12" swing, bought it for $50 and cleaned it up resold it for $800. That on had auto feed in both directions.

Beautiful machine. The logo in the bed casting is a nice touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to all who have read, comments and information are always welcomed and encouraged!!!!

unfortunately, i don't know what time frame it will be before the lathe will be running again.
i want it to be now, but i have other projects ahead of this one....:bang head::pickaxe:,:bang head::cussing:,:drink:,:pickaxe::bang head::chemist:!!!!!
as i do, i'll try to keep a detailed thread of the evolution, for posterity.

Back