Another What If Question

speedre9

Active User
Registered
I think I need a specialized jumper cable, I may not though. So, what if, I got a male and a female db25 solder cup connector and, ran wires from each pin to pin at the proper length, there-bye making the needed jumper cable, what if any , are the issues with that idea. There just aren't any commercially available that fit the application I am looking for. Comments and ideas welcome.:nuts:

You should be able to make a cable like that. What are you working with here? What is the end use?

My immediate thought is "are you trying to make a straight thru or a cross over or a ... jumper?". I do not think any of the variations would be an issue but sorting out all of the signal lines to make sure that what comes in on pin A on connector X goes out the correct pin B on connector Y could be a challenge.

Is this for Serial communicaions (RS-232 or such) or is this just a convenient way to move 25 wires from one location to another.

If this is for a serial communications protocol then you need to be very aware of TX/RX crossover and often other flow control signal lines need to "cross" over such a RTS/CTS. If this is just to move 25 wires then go for it. I am surprised that you can't find a straight through DB25 to DB25 jumper cable. I would have expected every possible variation for this cable type is made commercially as it is (was) the mainstay for personal computer communications for many years.

O.K. This is what I needed it for, I guess I should have been more descriptive. This may get overlong. First, I inadvertently destroyed the serial cable that came with my E Bay Chinese 4 axis controller card. So, I had already built a customized case to fit all the components, neat and sweet, and I didn't want to re do it again. Anyhow, the jumper as I call it, will connect the printer cable from the back panel to the controller card. I wanted a db25 male, female, ribbon wire cable 18 inches long but, could not seen to find one online, I am the worst web searcher ever !.
So, what I did was go to Radio Shack, bought some crimp connectors, wired up a cable of black and white paired wires from the male to the female number to number with on extra black wire for #25. So, whatever signal travels through #1 pin should flow right through as usual, right?. My thinking is that what flow thru at pin #1 will follow the wire right thru to the computer as if it was connected directly. So, that's what I did to solve the issue, but, I have not tried it under power. I am not quite done building my system yet.:bitingnails:

Is there a reason it needs to be a ribbon cable? You can get DB25 male to DB25 female cables all day long from any number of sources. Just type in DB25 cable into ebay search and you'll get a plethora of them. You would want the parallel/printer cable and NOT the serial cable as the ones made for serial connection have the pins, but only a few of them are connected. They come in lengths from 2 - 25 foot.

Mark

It sounds like you may have the problem solved. I am still a bit confused as to what you are trying to do. There are 25 pin D-sub to ribbon cables available, but without knowing what the connector on the the card looks like I really can't help much.

Some pictures would be helpful I think.

Back