Another VFD question

It also might be called something like trip current. But it doesn't sound like a settable parameter on your VFD.

The faster the motor spins up to speed the more current it will draw. By putting in a long spin up time you should be minimizing the current being drawn during spinup.

Is the VFD wired directly to the 3ph motor with nothing between them? No wires shorted? No funny grounding in the connections? If so it sounds like you have a bad VFD. I would expect your motor to at least budge before throwing the over current fault you describe if the VFD is working.

EDIT: You could put a clip on ammeter over one of the 3 phase legs between the VFD and the motor to see if ANY current registers... if you happen to have one. I would not worry too much about doing this though as it is probably your VFD.
Tried several acceleration settings from 5-60 seconds, all with same result. Also bypassed drum switch. When I turn it on, the motor starts to move but almost imperceptibly, vfd clicks and error shows on screen.
Chuck

Drum switch?
I found the following Vevor review on Amazon; perhaps it might help you:

"I was given the following as test parameters. The first one I could not get to stick but the rest seemed to work and stay in memory.
pn32=3 (default is 1 I believe)
pn02=060.00(60 Hz is the frequency most of these old motors in the US are made for. 4000 is the default.)
pn03=2
pn04=1
pn10=060.00 aka 60 Hz. (4000 is the default)
pn12=060.00 (4000Hz is the default)

I am not even sure what pn32 does but it would not stay set but the rest did and it worked"

Last edited:
Drum switch?
I found the following Vevor review on Amazon; perhaps it might help you:

"I was given the following as test parameters. The first one I could not get to stick but the rest seemed to work and stay in memory.
pn02=060.00(60 Hz is the frequency most of these old motors in the US are made for. 4000 is the default.)
pn03=2
pn04=1

I am not even sure what pn32 does but it would not stay set but the rest did and it worked"

If those parameters are set to 4000hz instead of 60hz that would definitely be a problem. That review sounds like the buyer might have gotten a repackaged VFD; all of my VFD's have always come set to 60hz.

EDIT: WAIT, is there anything in the VFD description on Amazon that says anything about a "spindle"? A VFD sold for the purpose of driving a CNC spindle WOULD likely default to 4000hz instead of 60hz. Please let us know if indeed these parameters are set to 4000? Setting them to 60 should solve your issue if this is the case. (A CNC spindle is basically a high speed router which runs at thousands of RPM and is used in a CNC router)

Last edited:
Drum switch?
I found the following review on Amazon; perhaps it might help you:

pn03=2
pn04=1

I saw that review also. And it may be helpful. Thanks
A drum switch is a manual switch that has forward, off, and reverse that works from contacts. You can google drum switch to see examples.
Chuck
If those parameters are set to 4000hz instead of 60hz that would definitely be a problem. That review sounds like the buyer might have gotten a repackaged VFD; all of my VFD's have always come set to 60hz.

EDIT: WAIT, is there anything in the VFD description on Amazon that says anything about a "spindle"? A VFD sold for the purpose of driving a CNC spindle WOULD likely default to 4000hz instead of 60hz. Please let us know if indeed these parameters are set to 4000? Setting them to 60 should solve your issue if this is the case.
400.00 htz is default setting in my manual. Someone must have misplaced the decimal point.
Chuck

I saw that review also. And it may be helpful. Thanks
A drum switch is a manual switch that has forward, off, and reverse that works from contacts. You can google drum switch to see examples.
Chuck

400.00 htz is default setting in my manual. Someone must have misplaced the decimal point.
Chuck
400hz is still definitely wrong for your motor. Have you changed them to 60hz and tried powering up the motor? 400hz would spin your motor at 24,000rpm (assuming it is a 3600rpm motor). ==> router / spindle territory.

Last edited:
Jubil: I know what a drum switch is, I was just wondering where in the system you were using it. Using it between the VFD and the motor would be a definite no no
-M

Jubil: I know what a drum switch is, I was just wondering where in the system you were using it. Using it between the VFD and the motor would be a definite no no
-M
My apologies Mark. The drum switch was between vfd and motor and I thought I had bypassed it. That was in the instructions.
I contacted the seller through Amazon and they were helpful. It seems I had one parameter (pn 32 parameter management) set wrong and motor wired wrong. There was about 15 wires in box on motor and I got one wrong, not careful enough.
It seems to be working correctly now.
Thanks for the input.
Chuck

PN32 was option 3 = initialization for 400hz parameters.
Whoda thunk it? Not me for sure.
Chuck
7DA45319-C87B-40AC-ACA2-19E6A20C2AEE.jpeg

Good deal! What did you end up with for PN32?
Just reread your earlier post, for PN32 = 3 it was correct. I had tried it earlier but wiring was wrong at that time. Seems you can’t double, triple, quadruple check yourself enough at times.
Chuck

Back