Another Treadmill Conversion (band Saw) Questions.

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, I have a horizontal band saw that I would like to convert from the old Motor to a treadmill motor.
Got an old treadmill ProForm 500I it has a MC-2100-12 motor controller, a 2.65 HP Perm Magnet motor,
I did get the main head board as well, did not get the lift motor, or the lift encoder.
I am thinking that this should be able to run the band saw. It currently has a old delco 1/2 hp moter like use to be in old ACs etc, that is mounted un rubber front and rear. thus it does not tighten up properly and the mount flexes, allow the belt to slip. Also the main pulley is in bad shap. Thus I will also need to put a new pulley on the main shaft as well. So I am looking at using the ribbed belt like was on the treadmill as well.

Here is my question will the MC-2100-12 controller work, Do I have to use the big head that is on it or can I use something else to adjust and set the speed.
I also have the speed pickup that was mounted close to the pulley on it to monitor speed.

Attached is the wiring diagram for it. Let me know and I can post other info if needed.

Attachments

• tredmill 1.pdf
    196.8 KB · Views: 18
Well from several items I have found, You almost have to use the whole thing, as without the head, or some other device, and the pickup system mounted for the pulley, the system will not turn on. Thus I'm open to suggestions, the motor is a 2.5 HP 90V,

I'd offer you one of my DC controllers I have on hand, but they are only good up to 1 HP.
Maybe one of the other experts out there can tune in and speak.

OK, I have a horizontal band saw that I would like to convert from the old Motor to a treadmill motor.
Got an old treadmill ProForm 500I it has a MC-2100-12 motor controller, a 2.65 HP Perm Magnet motor,
I did get the main head board as well, did not get the lift motor, or the lift encoder.
I am thinking that this should be able to run the band saw. It currently has a old delco 1/2 hp moter like use to be in old ACs etc, that is mounted un rubber front and rear. thus it does not tighten up properly and the mount flexes, allow the belt to slip. Also the main pulley is in bad shap. Thus I will also need to put a new pulley on the main shaft as well. So I am looking at using the ribbed belt like was on the treadmill as well.

Here is my question will the MC-2100-12 controller work, Do I have to use the big head that is on it or can I use something else to adjust and set the speed.
I also have the speed pickup that was mounted close to the pulley on it to monitor speed.

Attached is the wiring diagram for it. Let me know and I can post other info if needed.
You can probably make it work open-loop by applying a pulse-width-modulated 5V signal from a 555 or such to the blue/stripe wire.

I will have to go back and look but for some reason I though I read somewhere you had to have a signal of some kind from the speed sensor or it would not work.
It seems the older control boards were easier to work with than these new ones. I may have to think about getting one of the old style controllers. Wait it is summer, and they should be doing bulk trash pick up so maybe I will get lucky and find an old style of Treadmill sitting by the curb.

I need to study up on THis stuff, I have not used this type stuff since High School..

I've got a old Radio Shack science fair kit from the 1970's, will that help?

Back