Another thread on a new mill purchase

I learned the hard way that buying a cheaper machine just because it has 'bells and whistles' that I want only brought dissatisfaction. Buying the best machine I could, and THEN worrying about the extras has turned out much better for me. But that's just me, your experience could be different. :)

Oh, and butcher is not the word that comes to mind after looking at that picture. I'm terrible with wood, so I stick to metal.

So...how much to make me a Girstner look-alike? :D

I sent an email to Matt and he responded in about 5 minutes. That alone is amazing. Wonder if the guy eats or sleeps.

Anyhow, here is one of the questions I posed to him. I really hope that he does not mind me sharing this info. His response is in bold.
"The price difference between the PM-932M and the PM-833T is exactly $1000. The 833 comes with essentially no bells or whistles (no power anything, no DRO). Is the quality of the castings and the machining that much better than the 932 for that $1000? Yes it is. No comparison between the machines from China Vs Taiwan. The Chinese machines are still good mills and work well, but not as high end of a machine as a mill from Taiwan."

So, it looks like I am now leaning towards the 833T considering his response, wrmiller's response and my overall desire for a precision machine.

I have plans for a wood tool chest wrmiller. The Gerstner chests are well made pieces of furniture that I am sure take a lot of time to make, although once a factory is set up they can make hundreds of drawer fronts, sides and etc. to keep the cost down. That being said, they are way overpriced in my opinion. But, for me to build one, well, maybe a Gerstner isn't that expensive. :/ Maybe instead of buying metalworking equipment I should look at expanding my woodworking but taylor my products to the metalworking clientele. That jewelery armoire is one of 3 that I made, one for each of my daughters for their high school graduation. Solid walnut and cherry.

I would add , as you found out with your lathe it got smaller on you. So why buy a smaller mill , get the biggest and best that you can , you will be happier in a year or two. Believe me it's happened to so many on this forum why didn't I get the Taiwan made mill my China mills has sand and newspapers stuck in it. If you read some of the posts , but still it's you baby to buy , be happy and enjoy.

I sent an email to Matt and he responded in about 5 minutes. That alone is amazing. Wonder if the guy eats or sleeps.

Anyhow, here is one of the questions I posed to him. I really hope that he does not mind me sharing this info. His response is in bold.
"The price difference between the PM-932M and the PM-833T is exactly $1000. The 833 comes with essentially no bells or whistles (no power anything, no DRO). Is the quality of the castings and the machining that much better than the 932 for that $1000? Yes it is. No comparison between the machines from China Vs Taiwan. The Chinese machines are still good mills and work well, but not as high end of a machine as a mill from Taiwan."

So, it looks like I am now leaning towards the 833T considering his response, wrmiller's response and my overall desire for a precision machine.

I have plans for a wood tool chest wrmiller. The Gerstner chests are well made pieces of furniture that I am sure take a lot of time to make, although once a factory is set up they can make hundreds of drawer fronts, sides and etc. to keep the cost down. That being said, they are way overpriced in my opinion. But, for me to build one, well, maybe a Gerstner isn't that expensive. :/ Maybe instead of buying metalworking equipment I should look at expanding my woodworking but taylor my products to the metalworking clientele. That jewelery armoire is one of 3 that I made, one for each of my daughters for their high school graduation. Solid walnut and cherry.

Your daughters Sir, are very lucky to have a father like you. :)

I too believe the Gerstners chests are way too overpriced. Which is likely why I don't own one. I love good quality wood, but I know nothing about working with it, nor do I have the tools to do so. It is what it is.

Matt is giving you the straight scoop. I won't even try to describe the differences between my last mill and my 935, except to say that they are significant. The Chinese machines are decent for their price point, and many good projects have been done on them. But the difference in the materials and machining of the Taiwan machines means that they will last a very long time if properly taken care of.

That was the major point that pointed me to the Taiwan machines. And I'm glad I bought them when I did. Being forced into early retirement means I can barely pay Attention these days, and could never afford to buy the machines I now have. One of the few things I've done right in this life. ;)

Last edited:
Oh, BTW I have a friend that calls me the wood butcher. Attached is a picture of some wood stuff I cobble together.
That is a spectacular jewelry chest. Nicely done!

Good luck on the search and keep us posted. As you know, I'm in a similar boat, although I'm leaning toward the PM835 or a Tormach. The 833T is where I started looking, and I still keep coming back to it as a top-flight bench-top machine.

Thank you for the kind words sir!

I wish I had it in my budget for that 835 because that is one very nice looking machine. The $400 shipping fee doesn't help my cause either. I have looked at that machine numerous times but I am leaning real heavy towards the 833. I think it would fit my needs well and last a long time for what I am going to do with it.

One last thing: That one-shot oiler on the 833 should be a serious point to consider. I spent considerable time and effort converting my 9x40 to a one-shot oiling system, and the difference was very noticable. I won't have a mill without one now.

Good point Mr. Miller. I called Precision Matthews today and they have about 15 or so 833T's in stock. I hope to order one by Monday or Tuesday. I did a little barter work and the other party won't be around until next week. When I talked to Nicole today she did mention that the Tiawanese mills (833T) are really nice with excellent fit and finish.

I just got a pm932m and am still getting it setup but I love it so far having a motor to raise and lower it is awesome and the powerfeed is freaking great :)

I just got a pm932m and am still getting it setup but I love it so far having a motor to raise and lower it is awesome and the powerfeed is freaking great :)

That is awesome. I know, I really thought hard about that one and the power feeds. For the price, it seems like an awesome mill. I like Silverbullet's post about buying the best I can than add the doo-dads as I go.

Back