Another thread on a new mill purchase

Well guys. I did it. I have a new PM-833T ordered and should be on its way in a couple/few days. Greg at PM says they are backed up a little, which doesn't bother me at all because I need to be working on a stand for it. I plan on making a stand out of tubing with an integrated storage solution built into it. Don't have the details of that worked out in my head yet.

WoooHooo!!
Congrats! Which options did you choose?

Well guys. I did it. I have a new PM-833T ordered and should be on its way in a couple/few days. Greg at PM says they are backed up a little, which doesn't bother me at all because I need to be working on a stand for it. I plan on making a stand out of tubing with an integrated storage solution built into it. Don't have the details of that worked out in my head yet.

WoooHooo!!

Nice! Welcome to the club! :encourage:

Now comes the hard part...the waiting. Hated this part, but I will say that it was worth it.

Are Matt and the guys putting a DRO on it for you?

EDIT: Oh, and we require a writeup of your initial impressions with copious amounts of pics please. :big grin:

Last edited:
Nice! Welcome to the club! :encourage:

Now comes the hard part...the waiting. Hated this part, but I will say that it was worth it.

Are Matt and the guys putting a DRO on it for you?

EDIT: Oh, and we require a writeup of your initial impressions with copious amounts of pics please. :big grin:

The mill might be shipped by Friday. I need to get my stand done before I actually bring it home. It will be delivered to my brother's farm, where they have forklifts and skidsteers to unload it off the truck. Then in my trailer for the hour ride home.

Not having them install a DRO for me. I am intrigued by Bob Korves endorsement of the DRO system he purchased from China (see above comments). So, there is a good chance that I will go Bob's route or I may go the BluDRO route, since that is what I was planning on putting on my lathe. Also, according to Matt's website, all of his DRO's that would work are out of stock except the Easson, which is $700 plus $200 for install (I think). I love PM, but if I do the DRO myself, I can put that other money towards tooling, and we all know how quickly that adds up. I did order his 5" vise to get me by for a while until I find a Kurt or similar on an auction.

I promise that I will provide a ton of pictures when I get it. In the meantime, I am going to be starting work on my stand, which will incorporate some sort of storage.

The brand of DRO is unimportant, as long as it is accurate. And I hear you about the funds and stuff. I have installed 4 DROs. After the first one it got a lot easier.

I got very lucky a while back when I was looking for a really good vise, and someone here was selling a Kurt 5" with no swivel base (which I never use anyway). They are not made anymore, so finding one for sale is difficult. Especially one in good shape. And no, you can't have mine. ;)

A little teaser...

20171221_184122.jpg

20171222_081900.jpg

Nice! The mill looks undamaged. And the stand looks like it is coming along nicely.

Congratulations on the new machine, they look very nice.

BTW if you do buy from Siton (Wilson) he is good to deal with but delivery is not very quick, 3 weeks or more and returns are more expensive if something is not correct.

I bought the Easson ES-8A 3 Axis unit from him and ordered the GS11 Slim Scale for the cross slide of my lathe, it's the same dimensions as the GS10, just has a finer scale but I was expecting a slimmer unit as 33mm is too tall to fit under the compound when it's turned.

I needed one of my units to be a bit lower profile which I think is the GS31 and he was very slow to respond, so still working on sorting that out.

My mistake on that but would have liked for him to tell me what options I have rather than have me find the solution, just a small issue but that's the cost of dealing with someone far away and the language barrier.

So double check everything before you hit buy and ask questions beforehand if you are not sure.

David.

Take a look at DRO PROS website for DROs. Prices vary depending on models and their warranties vary also. The more expensive the unit the longer warranty up to 6 yrs. They have a lot of informative videos on the units they sell.

Back