Another Pm1340gt Build

Thanks squire. It's been a fun project. Most all I have done has been from things I have seen here or other places on the net.

Make sure to post up your efforts so others can benefit as well.

Brad, a couple of questions on your VFD panel mounting.
  1. Did you install vents and/or forced cooling in the enclosure?
  2. What rotary disconnect switch did you use and since it appears to be on the hinged side of the enclosure, does the door mounted knob link up okay with the actuating rod?
Lots of nice work you have done on your 1340! Thanks for sharing it.

Alan,

Although I am not certain it is necessary, I installed a 24V fan mounted on the lower left side of the enclosure and an exhaust vent on the upper right hand side. I think two vents is probably adequate.

On the switch, the entire unit is mounted to the door so there is no issue with the linkage. I drilled a through hole (can't remember the size) where the actuator connects the rotating part of the switch on the front to the module that is mounted on the backside of the door. It would be the same if you mounted the switch on a panel or the side of the enclosure. I had to leave a little extra slack in the wire so that there is enough to swing open the door, although it's mounted on the hinge side so there is not much movement of the wire. A link to the switch is attached below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SIEMENS...396654?hash=item1a1d6659ee:g:QlkAAOSw8gVX-yeo

Let me know if the explanation was not adequate or you need more info or pictures.

Brad

Hey bss1, for some reason, the link to the dimensions attachment defaults to a HM error page. Any chance you can post it again? Thanks mucho brother!

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

Squire

Are you talking about the link to the plans that Sanddan posted or some of my pictures early in the thread I didn't post correctly?

Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BSS1,

In your first post you make reference to "dimensions" worked-up by Dan. Just below this is a link that says, simply, "View Attachment". That's what I'm interested in - the dimensions of the stand.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Squier

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

Ok I see. I mucked up the beginning of the thread by not posting pics correctly. If you go to post number 16 Dan (Sanddan) put a direct link to his plans. Those plans are what my stand is based upon with a few minor tweaks. The dimensions reside therein. Hopefully that will answer your questions. If not let me know.

Brad

Brad - outstanding work all the way around! Great plan and great execution.

I just ordered a PM1236 and after seeing your thread it's already got me thinking about VFD upgrade and ditching the factory stand.

Also love the tool caddy - I'll shamelessly admit I'm rummaging through my scrap bin this weekend and just might end up with one on my bench!

Thanks guys. The machine and stand are still a bit of a work in progress.

Even though I have retained access to the original factory cross slide lock in my DRO install, I decided to add a lock on the chuck side utilizing the mounting holes for the follower rest as others have done. It is easily removable should I need the follower rest. The main reason I wanted to add it was it doesn't require any tools to lock it. The existing lock requires a wrench, which is really a minor inconvenience, but the new lock was easy to make and install. It was a fun project as well.

IMG_5646.JPG
IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

I am now working on a second side table for the tailstock end of the stand along with a swiveling tool holder attachment. After that I will still need to complete a spider for the outboard side of the spindle.

Back