Another Pm1340gt Build

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

B6D042D9-4F23-4422-940D-7E8BE4300CC1.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to get a few images in there. I will keep trying later but at least this will give you an idea.

VERY NICE!! I'm drooling!! Going to have to build one of these ASAP! Sent a note to Dan asking for the plans... this is project #1

Great job, I love the added drawers.

Here are the drawings (such as they are) for the stand as I built mine. I modified the HF tool box on mine by removing the lid and trimming the top flange. Only done to minimize the gap around the box when it's installed in the stand frame. Adjust the dimensions for the box you use.

Order on assembly:

1. Assemble the 2 end sections.
2. Using the 4 long tubes connect the 2 end sections. Keep every thing tacked at this point.
3. Fill in the rest of the tubes and install the feet.
4. Install the shelf pieces.
5. Weld the frame assembly. Move around when welding to minimize distortion.
6. Install the sheet metal filler pieces.
7. Once the frame is fully welded time to setup the mount plates. The goal is to get the 2 plates aligned in the horizontal plane. I used 2 heavy wall square tubes with the 2 plates clamped to them. I then tacked the plates to the frame. I did a test fit by mounting the lathe on the stand before final welding of the mounts. I then did a few 1" stitch welds.
7.1 Instead of 2 mount plates you can use a one piece plate. It's important to get the flattest plate you can.

I used .120" wall tubing, a good improvement would be .250".

I wanted the "one piece cast look" so all welds were ground smooth and filler was used before paint. The sheet metal filler plates were designed with this in mind. Less work would be to stitch weld them on the inside and leave the outside as is. Laser cut parts have a finished looking edge so I think this would be a good look.

The drawers are another great addition.

Attachments

• mnt plate lh upper.PDF
    46.6 KB · Views: 325
  • mnt plate rh upper.PDF
    45.9 KB · Views: 243
  • PM1340GT lathe stand.PDF
    74.1 KB · Views: 294
  • PM1340GT lathe stand detail.PDF
    53.9 KB · Views: 287
  • SHELF1.PDF
    43.5 KB · Views: 251
  • skin1.PDF
    42.6 KB · Views: 238
  • skin2.PDF
    42.5 KB · Views: 255
  • threaded pad.PDF
    45.6 KB · Views: 251
I seem to have made a mess of the thread with the pics. I can't tell which of the pics you guys can see. If I'm looking on my iPad or iPhone I can see all of the pics in my initial posts but not the ones I posted later from a PC. I wish I could tell what everyone else is seeing so I could try to fix it.

Dans plans were a huge help. With those plans I was able to completely fabricate the stand without ever having seen the lathe or test fitting anything.

My stand is not as refined as Dans is. He put a lot of effort into a custom paint and finish job that makes his look like a factory produced item. I made a few small changes from Dan's base design, but for the most part it is a direct copy with a lesser paint and finish job. Instead of cutting the top lip off of the HF box like Dan, I made my stand 1 inch taller than the plans and added a 1" piece of angle that the front top lip of the box indexes into. It was just a different way of producing a clean finished look without the effort of trimming the box top. I also added two pieces of 2" angle to the rear of the cabinet to cover the exposed area of the box top that protrudes from the rear of the cabinet. That was just to keep the dust bunnies from accumulating in the open area on top of the box. The drawers turned out better than I expected. I might suggest that someone try to add a deep bottom drawer with a custom rack for the chucks instead of the open shelf that I have. I would add it to mine but I'm out of steam for now. I also added some receivers for some removable accessories. So far I have only made the small work tray. It has been handy for working on the lathe for a place to set small parts and tools besides the chip tray or headstock. The only other change I can think of was that I added two strips of 1/2" square bar between the two top plates to make it look like one big 1/2" top plate. That should be visible in the pics without the lathe on top. I will try to post another pic of this from my PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like your ideas.

Maybe a better layout for the shelf's would be one smaller drawer at the top and one large drawer on the bottom. The shelf's on mine aren't a great height (a little too short to fit a gal jug of coolant/oil). It's one thing I would do different if I was building it again. Currently I still haven't filled the tool box yet so lack of storage isn't an issue.

Another upgrade I'd thought of but didn't do is to fill the legs with sand or lead shot to add mass and dampening. Not sure it's needed but it might be a great upgrade.

Back