Another 'New to Me Clausing 8520' Thread

Here is a couple pics of the Y axis handle..after reading about failed attempts to bend them back, I very well may just leave it alone. However, it does impinge on the locking dial, so I very well may just slightly tweak it a bit so that I can lock the dial if needed. I am curious as to if a lead screw from another mill (8525, 8530/35) would be the same size? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

V/r,

Chayse

View attachment 143633 View attachment 143634

That lead screw is also bent. It may even be damaged in further. Looks like you have a tear down coming. The lead screw is still available from Clausing. Not sure about the handle.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill, I knew it was bent when I looked at the mill the day I picked it up. It seems to operate fine but unknown what, if any damage, could have been done to the internals. It still operates fine, nice and smooth....ugh...wasn't planning on taking the table off...but might as well for peace of mind. Anyone know if the lead screw from a similar mill will work? Looks as if another member is parting out an 8530. And I am sure Clausing will be more than happy to sell me one...heck, they quoted me $600 for the lead screw on my lathe. Thank goodness I ended up finding a suitable candidate on the 'bay'!

Thanks for the opinions, insight, and just plain information thus far...at this point, all I want to do is learn!

The 8530 has the same Lead Screw. If you can get the nut with it.

"Billy G"

Thanks for the information Bill, it is people like yourself that make this board enjoyable....I can only wish one day that I have the knowledge that you and other members of this board share!

You are welcome. That is why we are here, to help all of you. I own an 8520.

"Billy G"

So I got bored and wanted to further investigate any potential damage caused by the bent y-axis lead screw. So I set forth on disassembly....which only took roughly an hour to get it down to the knee. I was able to tweak the end of the lead screw enough to remove both the locking dial and micrometer dial. Looks as if the damage is only on the very end of the lead screw...and found no evidence of damage to the brass lead screw nut under the ways! I also removed the vise, still no identifying marks, and cleaned the table. She has some battle scars but think I will be able to live with it...sorry for the pic quality, only have my camera phone to document.

20170113_210349.jpg

20170113_210411.jpg

20170113_210438.jpg

Here are the additional pics as I removed the table....little grimy, as to be expected, but everything came apart nice and easy! I included a couple pics of the bottom of the x-axis ways....looks ok to me but I will turn to the more knowledgeable members of this board for a true opinion. The top of the y-axis ways did have some staining....but not rust, so maybe for sitting so long unused?

20170113_214734.jpg 20170113_214811.jpg 20170113_214828.jpg

Know this has me stumped...i could not find this 'bracket' on the parts diagram, although, I may have downloaded the diagram for the wrong year...as I have not called Clausing to see when my mill was manufactured. Any ideas as what this may be? It does sit on a boss and is held in place by 2 allen head bolts.20170113_210731.jpg

Last pics...i definitely have some cleaning to do...although, it seems mostly aluminum, plastic, and some copper....so maybe she wasn't abused too much!20170113_214932.jpg

Chayse, the bracket that you have mounted to the side of your knee must be a custom made addition put in place by a previous owner. I've not seen one like that before.

As for your vise, I do not think that it is an original Clausing vise. I have an original Clausing 4" vise and it looks quite different from yours.

Back