Another mystery tool

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We picked this foot operated press today at a local thrift store and are wondering what it was for.

It has no labels or casting or forging marks.

It is foot operated and mounts to the table shown.

Understand we are in central cali so primary economy in the area of the find is agricultural things and we have been servicing farm related things for almost 40 years and just cannot see a specific use.

The upper rod is adjustable with a replaceable tip but it seems to be a bit small for the hole it mounts in so possible replacement.

Bottom rod looks like it is old and slightly rusty.

The pedal closes the points.via the bottom rising.

The table top is well built of pine lumber milled and glued as a solid surface and the support looks like a collection of 2 X 4 just nailed together.

We have a use...was actually working on sketches in the head for a tool that has a pair of points that close on a vertical tube to be used to support the tube at the magic spot for tuning as a wind chime so finding this was perfect.

We mount it sideways and add a spring then done.

But what was it for?

It is about a foot or so tall and table perfect for someone sitting or a short person.

We thinks some sort of grommet or tag attachment but that would seem to have something other than a pair of points.

It could be a sort of hole punch for punching a hole in something but what?

Any guesses?
c3a299b6c86f7f36c5cf40dcc3c8f597.jpg
33ae30f589b50d8223f795be6fae2236.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to guess with red-X for pictures.

We picked this foot operated press today at a local thrift store and are wondering what it was for.

Understand we are in central cali so primary economy in the area of the find is agricultural things and we have been servicing farm related things for almost 40 years and just cannot see a specific use.

The upper rod is adjustable with a replaceable tip but it seems to be a bit small for the hole it mounts in so possible replacement.

The table top is well built of pine lumber milled and glued as a solid surface and the support looks like a collection of 2 X 4 just nailed together.

We have a use...was actually working on sketches in the head for a tool that has a pair of points that close on a vertical tube to be used to support the tube at the magic spot for tuning as a wind chime so finding this was perfect.

But what was it for?

It is about a foot or so tall and table perfect for someone sitting or a short person.

We thinks some sort of grommet or tag attachment but that would seem to have something other than a pair of points.

Any guesses?

Leather punch for heavy material?

Doesn't look strong enough to do any sort of punching. Marking maybe, to put dimples on both sides of some material?

If it was thicker, it would look like a tool to turn the fingers of gloves right side out after they were sewn.

But what was it for?

Any guesses?

Looks like something à shoerepair or cobler would use. Not shure tho.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

We thought same regarding size as it is too light to do real work and points likely markers or parters.

Turning gloves is idea but point may cause damage.

Marking maybe.

It may be for religning brake bands , rivet setter. No pic for me to see just guess

The new software version has not fixed the Tapatalk issue when viewing on a computer, i see red X's same as Paco and likely others.

Back