Another Machinist Hammer

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Learned a lot on this project. Made many mistakes as well. So important to think through your order of operations. I thought I'd make a larger handle but not sure if I like the looks of it. Screwed up the taper also. Overall satisfied with it.thumbnail_IMG_20161108_021253788[1].jpg thumbnail_IMG_20161114_200629087[1].jpg thumbnail_IMG_20161122_030736970[1].jpg

Learned a lot on this project. Made many mistakes as well. So important to think through your order of operations. I thought I'd make a larger handle but not sure if I like the looks of it. Screwed up the taper also. Overall satisfied with it.View attachment 139904 View attachment 139905 View attachment 139906
Very nice! You'll smile every time using it even if you occasionally hit your thumb!

I made a similar one in junior high shop. My teacher stressed thinking through the operations before making chips. I started with the butt end of the handle sticking out of the lathe, faced, drilled/tapped a 3/8"-16 hole. Then made an arbor (probably a 3/4" round) that threaded into the butt end of the hammer handle. The arbor could be chucked up so the rest of the handle could be worked. Center drilled the hammer end and turned the rest between centers. Made a brass cap to thread into the butt end hole.

Bruce

I made a similar one in junior high shop. My teacher stressed thinking through the operations before making chips. I started with the butt end of the handle sticking out of the lathe, faced, drilled/tapped a 3/8"-16 hole. Then made an arbor (probably a 3/4" round) that threaded into the butt end of the hammer handle. The arbor could be chucked up so the rest of the handle could be worked. Center drilled the hammer end and turned the rest between centers. Made a brass cap to thread into the butt end hole.

Bruce
That is a great idea.

Your hammer came out really nice, DD. Seems to me that the taper is just aesthetics and I'd be happy with it.

Back