Another Leblond Question

As with other things, it really depends on what you are planning to do with it. Certain things may require higher speeds, certain things require more swing, certain things more power, etc. Ideally, one would want an "everything" machine, but reality dictates otherwise, hence the ownership/use of difference machines with different traits.
My current lathe is a Sears 12x36. Grew out of it fairly quickly, even though I'm sure its capabilities exceed my skills. I'm not much of a finesse kind of guy, so a more powerful machine was what I sought (and found in a LeBlond Regal roundhead 13"). Much more power, slightly more swing, more length, but less high speed. Even with the Craftsman, I regularly produce blue chips, and don't recall ever using the highest speed, except to see what it was like (maybe I polished something on that speed, but never cut anything with a bit).
It's only a tool, and with all tools, it must fit the job. I has to do more with what you need, than what you want. Think about what your jobs will mostly be and "choose wisely". Marriages of convenience only sometimes work. Marriages based on idealism also only sometimes work.

I can say that it is hard to find what I want, there is a 13" Sheldon close with 1200Rpm max while the LeBlond can hit 1800. So many choices!

Back