Another Lathe Dog Question

higgite

Professional Crastinator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So as not to highjack another thread on the subject, I'll start a new one. I haven't yet used a dog, so this question is coming from complete inexperience. (Some would say ignorance, but that's such a harsh word.) I don't have a face plate, but my lathe has a flanged spindle with through bolt holes to which the chuck bolts directly. Would it be satisfactory for me to use a straight legged dog driven by a bolt that is anchored in one of the bolt holes with a nut and lock washer on both sides of the flange? Is there a better way or would that be as good a way as any? Pros? Cons? I have a 8.5x20 bench lathe with a 4" spindle that has about a 3-1/4" bolt hole circle, if that makes a difference.

Tom

That should work fine. There's really nothing to a lathe dog, it's just a means of turning the part. Whatever it takes to get that done.

Yes you can but are limited to the diameters of stock you turn. By that I mean the drive pin is always in the same place. Once the diameter of the stock/dog combination you are done.

"Billy G"

That should work fine. There's really nothing to a lathe dog, it's just a means of turning the part. Whatever it takes to get that done.

I would add use a piece of leather boot lace to tie the dog to the bolt. Makes a quieter cut, since there is no gap or play when you start the next cut. I have seen drawings where the dog was tied to the face-plate. Specially if you are threading.

It is a old school solution, those old master machinist came up with some creative ideas.

Back