Another Knurling Question

dlane

Active User
Registered
Can a flat piece be knurled ?. Has anyone used a mill X power feed with a home made tool to hold knurling wheels in the spindle. The piece is 8" X 4 X 1/2" aluminum just the 1/2" edge needs knurling. Just curious
Thanks

I think I recall something like this being done in one of Guy Lautard's Bedside Readers. The maker used a bump knurler-type tool to make a diagonal pattern on the edge of a tap guide, I think. Shouldn't be too hard to do but you have to figure out how to lock the spindle so it cannot turn.

Thanks for the replys, I have a bunch of US knurling Wheel sets , I was thinking of making one like the Dorian with two wheels for X pattern, and useing the spindle brake ,BP clone super max mill.
Think I'll add that to the top list of to dos

Knurled a part in a lathe today, 2 1/2" Dia. 6061 aluminum with an Eaglerock 5" capacity scissor tool, ran a test on a drop and it came out fine, ran the part and it failed for no obvious reason as 3/4" of the 1" surface was fine the last 1/4" was awful, ran a second part with the same set up and it came out perfect, go figure, I hate knurling 1 or 2 parts at a time that have already had a bunch of work done to them.

If anyone is interested, 375 RPM's, .040" per revolution infeed and .008" IPR crossfeed, 2 coolant nozzles, one for each wheel.

Thinking about it now one of the coolant lines may have spit a chip into the works, ran a very chippy job in mild steel that made some very small slivers easily picked up by the coolant pump last Friday and haven't cleaned out the sump yet, there is also no filter on this machine.

Looks simple enough to make for hobby shop use. I would make the body and use a drill blank for the pin.
The quill lock by itself will probably not be up to the task, run the quill all the way up and use the knee to set the depth, if a small CNC mill with a Z axis I would be disinclined to use a ball screw and stepper or servo motor to maintain quill position under such load, ball screws are easily back driven and the Z axis is often not the most robust drive on small machines., just a thought.

Good point. I should think a tool used for this purpose would need to be rigidly positioned as the load will be very high. You would also need to make the full pattern in a single pass, again requiring high pressure.

Something like that would turn out good on an old vertical / horizontal mill. The power table feed would be great . Those old mills are so heavy the shear weight helps the process .

Is this for cosmetic or function/ Can you stamp a bunch of “X’s” on the metal? Can you machine the part on a lathe? Then roll it flat?

Back