Another How-to Question

luke.kimmet

Registered
Registered
Hey everybody, first post so if this has been asked here somewhere else I apologize but I searched and didn't see anything on this yet.

So here's what I'm looking at.

I'm making an axle/wheel stud for a linear carriage application. Start with a 1 1/4 round steel bar, approx. 5 in. long. Turn one side to 7/8, the other to 3/4, leaving 7/8 in the middle at the stock diameter. Now, part of that 1.25 diameter has flats machined on each side, about half the length. My question is how do I rotate the part exactly 180 deg. to machine the 2nd flat?

Fix the part in the vice so the centerline is below the top of the vice jaws. Bridge the center gap in the vice with a parallel laid on its side. Mill the first flat. Rotate the part 180 degrees and place a small block under the first flat so that it rests on the block. Seat firmly using small brass hammer or soft block and small hammer. I would indicate the top of the bar on either end to make sure it is not tilted and indicate the top to determine the proper depth of cut. You should be good to go for the second flat.

You could also use a rotary table mounted vertically. If the bar is centered on the axis of rotation, machine a trial cut, rotate 180 degrees and machine the second trial cut. Mike the distance between flats and adjust your z axis accordingly. You should be able to machine two flats exactly parallel, symmetric, and to your exact separation.

Bob

Luke,
Agree with Bob. one more option if all that don't work for you If you have two V-blocks you could clap the two ends down in the V blocks and side mill the two flats. this would prevent having to move the part around once you start. it also allows for checking the distance between flats. I really given the choice like the mill one flat then flip it so it rests on the other method. But one never knows what others have to work with in their shops.
Mark

Back