Another Home Made Shop Jib Crane

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
I did not find a specific catagory to put my post so here it is in the general projects. Tony, feel free to move it to a proper catagory if necessary.

I've built two other jib cranes for use in my shop a few years back. There's pictures of them on both this site and the other web site out there, too. Their probably posted on several sites out there by now. No biggie to me. I may get upset if someone starts building them for profit, I hope not.

My third one is a little bit larger spand with a heavier lift of 500 lbs. My other two are limited to 300 lbs lift. This one I built to handle all of the heavy stuff on the rebuilding of my 20" Lodge & shiply lathe. I need something to handle the tailstock base for scraping and fitting, along as the carriage, taper attachment, as well as changing out the chucks on the lathe. Once the lathe is running use it to load material into the machine.

Here's are a few pictures of process of my third one. Enjoy!

DSCN1278-1.jpg

Drilling holes for mounting bolts in vertical member.

DSCN1280-1.jpg
DSCN1282-1.jpg

Finished parts waiting for assembly

DSCN1289-1.jpg

During assembly and fitting of the tie rod, the tie rod interferes with the garage door opener. Easy fix, raised the door opener up just enough for the tie rod to clear, barely by .001"

DSCN1295-1.jpg

Foot mount on the floor.

DSCN1299-1.jpg

Finished jib crane. I proof tested it picking up the tailstock for my 20" Lodge & Shiply lathe!

Oh, the Dr Pepper theormeter is not for sale, don't even ask!:biggrin:

DSCN1278-1.jpg DSCN1280-1.jpg DSCN1282-1.jpg DSCN1289-1.jpg DSCN1295-1.jpg DSCN1299-1.jpg

Ken

Nice job on the crane. That should save your back from doing the heavy lifting. Just curious, what od tube , and wall thickness was used for materials.

Ive been thinking about building one as well. Also, another question for you. I can see the lower mount to the floor, the upper mount ,is it into the wood joists in the ceiling? Just wondering how you have the upper mont tied in, and does it have bracing Im not seeing.

Looking very nice, and if does the job, your back will thank you for it.:thumbzup:

Paul,

Very good questions.. I made this out of 2-3/8" OD (2" pipe) EW (electric welded) class 40 Tubing. Basically cheap pipe! My other two jib cranes are made of 1.900" OD (1-1/2 pipe) of the same tubing.

I missed attaching the picture of the ceiling mount. Here it is.

DSCN1285-1.jpg

Hidden up in the attic is a 1/4" thick plate like the 1/8" plate on the ceiling, setting on top of the ceiling joist. The all thread studs, four of them, straddle the ceiling joist. The all thread studs have Nylon inserted lock nuts on top and nuts and lock washers on bottom, just my way of dong things. Also I lag screwed the ceiling plate to the ceiling joist with a couple of lag screws about 3" long.

DSCN1285-1.jpg

Wow pretty neat!! I was thinking a bridge crane for my shop but this seems a lil better. Would you mind telling me how you anchored it in the concrete? Also, how is the trolley attached to the pipe?

thanks,
Chris.

Nice job!
The top and bottom cast bearing mounts are obviously proprietary items.
What is the correct name for them and where are they from?

M

Chris,

I have the trolly put together in one of the pictures above. The trolley move along the pipe on a couple of ball bearing rollers. The pillow block bearing on the floor is secured to the floor with concrete anchor bolts about 3" long.

7HC,

The pillow block bearings are called "4-bolt pillow block bearing" They are available at any bearing house, eBay, etc. The one's I used are a common size.

Ken,

Very nice work!

Most of the load is carried by the tie rod when you're out at the end. It looks like it's threaded into tapped holes on each end. What did you do to size the threads to make sure they were able to take the load?

Cal

7HC,

The pillow block bearings are called "4-bolt pillow block bearing" They are available at any bearing house, eBay, etc. The one's I used are a common size.

Thanks, I didn't realize that pillow block bearings could have a closed face. I thought that they always allowed a shaft or axle to pass through.

Now I know what to ask for if ever I need one! :))

M

Thanks, I didn't realize that pillow block bearings could have a closed face.
M

They are not closed ended in the bore, the bore is through like you said for a shaft to go thru.

If you notice in the pictures, the stub shaft I built has a shoulder on the stub that bottoms out on the face fo the pillow block bearing.

I mentioned earlier that the bearing is a 4-bolt pillow block bearing. I should have said "4-bolt flange pillow block bearing", sorry about that.

They are not closed ended in the bore, the bore is through like you said for a shaft to go thru.

If you notice in the pictures, the stub shaft I built has a shoulder on the stub that bottoms out on the face fo the pillow block bearing.

I mentioned earlier that the bearing is a 4-bolt pillow block bearing. I should have said "4-bolt flange pillow block bearing", sorry about that.

Thanks again.

M

Back