Another Cincy Toolmaster

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all, another "new" Toolmaster joins the group. I recently picked up a Cincinnati Milacron 1D. It seems to be an early 1970's machine (still has the rounded head, no provision for a tool head at the back end of the ram and Milacron badging on the nameplate). I understand Milacron started in the early 1970's. To date I have not powered it - still checking and cleaning (oh, and the usual - so many projects to work on before getting to this one). I have not found any major issues, other than any loose components were gone (spindle wrench, knee elevation handle, vise handle) - thankful to get it with a 6" Kurt and an MT4 adapter in the spindle. Several of the small knobs / handles are broken or bent - it is certainly a project machine, but one I believe will finish out well.

DSC06914.JPGDSCF3937.JPGDSCF3942.JPGDSCF3943.JPGDSCF3945.JPG

I have a small Maho milling machine, so I don't see a big problem making the spindle and knee crank tools. It may be easier to purchase the knee crank, but all the ones I have seen on ebay appear to be smaller (perhaps other 1D owners could comment on sources?). I am looking forward to the larger work envelop, X & Y & quill power feeds and higher spindle speeds. Not looking forward to tooling yet another machine - I'll probably go slow on that since the Maho serves most of the time.

DSC06914.JPG DSCF3937.JPG DSCF3942.JPG DSCF3943.JPG DSCF3945.JPG

Congratulations. Nice find! Looking forward to seeing it make chips. Please keep us updated.

Nice you will like it. If you need dimensions for a knee crank let me know, I'll measure up mine...

sam

Hi all, another "new" Toolmaster joins the group. I recently picked up a Cincinnati Milacron 1D. It seems to be an early 1970's machine (still has the rounded head, no provision for a tool head at the back end of the ram and Milacron badging on the nameplate). I understand Milacron started in the early 1970's. To date I have not powered it - still checking and cleaning (oh, and the usual - so many projects to work on before getting to this one). I have not found any major issues, other than any loose components were gone (spindle wrench, knee elevation handle, vise handle) - thankful to get it with a 6" Kurt and an MT4 adapter in the spindle. Several of the small knobs / handles are broken or bent - it is certainly a project machine, but one I believe will finish out well.

View attachment 84492View attachment 84493View attachment 84494View attachment 84495View attachment 84496

I have a small Maho milling machine, so I don't see a big problem making the spindle and knee crank tools. It may be easier to purchase the knee crank, but all the ones I have seen on ebay appear to be smaller (perhaps other 1D owners could comment on sources?). I am looking forward to the larger work envelop, X & Y & quill power feeds and higher spindle speeds. Not looking forward to tooling yet another machine - I'll probably go slow on that since the Maho serves most of the time.

Just looked in my copy of the company's history published in 1984 on the occasion of their centennial. Cincinnati Milling Machine Company was renamed Cincinnati Milacron in 1970. The Board of Directors selected the new name in January 1970 and the shareholders approved the name in May 1970.

Nice looking Toolmaster by the way.

David

Congratulations, what a beast!

I just brought home a 1B that was in a basement; had to disassemble and sled it out in sub-assemblies....

Looks really good. That Sir, appears to be one metal hogging machine!

Always room for another Cincy!
Mine is a 1956 1B.
If there is anything you need that her grandfather might be able to provide let me know.
However, I'm concerned that there may have been changes....

Regardless, You are gonna like her.
Start collecting collets now.
Concentrate on the ones you will likely need/use most frequently.
She will treat you well!

Daryl
MN

Hi Daryl, Thank you for the encouragement. This machine has a #40 taper, so tooling should be pretty available. I'll get some sort of a collet system after she is cleaned up and powered.

So far no major issues, just dirty and various small knobs bent or broken (2 of the 4 gear selector knobs for the table feeds snapped off and gone - hey, I'm thankful to have the table feeds - conclusion is that life is still good). Machine came without the z-axis crank. The replacement crank handles that are common on e-bay all seem too small. The shaft on mine is 3/4". Are you aware of a source for a replacement table elevating crank, or is that simply another opportunity to make some chips?

Regards, David

Back