Another Atlas 6" Mk.2 Survey Reply Checking In...

Pat,

Typical bean counters. Always fouling their own nest.

56type,

OK. The drill chuck is threaded. Hold it in your spindle chuck roughly centered. Wrap the chuck sleeve in several layers of paper to protect its finish. As the direction that you need to turn the arbor to remove it is also the direction that will loosen your spindle chuck, block up under the lower two spindle chuck jaws with wood blocks and take the load on the front way. If the 1MT part of the arbor is tanged, you can turn it with an adjustable (AKA Crescent) wrench. If you are lucky, the 1MT part will break loose first. If it does, then use a pipe wrench on the straight part. Otherwise, just use a pipe wrench on the straight part . If the 1MT part isn't tanged, I don't know how you'll get the arbor apart. You could try putting a 2MT to 1MT sleeve in the spindle and and the 1MT arbor in the sleeve and using a pipe wrench on the straight part.

wa5cab,

The drill chuck threaded off easily by hand, was only on the threaded shaft handtight. The MT1 & threaded shaft are a different story as the tang portion is threaded internally. Not sure if the threaded shaft and arbor are one piece or not...

MT1%20arbor%20threaded%20tang_zpsivpwe3nt.jpg

Well, the chuck is salvaged, anyway. But I don't understand the part your photo just above shows. The end that screwed into the chuck should have had male threads. The end that went into the tailstock ram looked like (and should have been) tapered. And shouldn't have been threaded, male or female.

That's what puzzled me as well. The above pic shows the end of the MT1 shaft that goes into the tailstock. I thought it would be squared off and solid too, also the the male threaded portion of the straight shaft that threaded into the drill chuck seems to be one piece with the MT1 tapered section. Not sure what this piece was originally intended for as the threaded portion is much too long for simply mounting a drill chuck...

Well, it must have been drilled and tapped for a drawbar. But I don't recall ever hearing of a machine with a spindle that small (1MT) that was hollow. You could, of course, cut most of the straight section off and turn and thread the remainder to fit the drill chuck. But that would be a lot of work and you still have to plug the tapped hole before I would risk using it in the tailstock. If you can find a 1MT threaded arbor it'll probably be cheaper.

Back