Another 10" Logan Project + A Question

As others have mentioned, those bushings are inexpensive.

The bushings are quite a tight fit in those sleeves. I had no luck with an arbor press, and had to locate a hydraulic press to get them in. Also, you may have to resize the bushing inside diameter after you press them in.

Very nice work, on both the lathe and the stand.

The bushings on my 820 were much worse than yours! I replaced both the shaft and the bushings. I believe the total cost for all 4 bushings was less that $10 from McMaster-Carr.

It's pretty simple to change the bushings.... and the shaft for that matter. I've changed them on a few logans. It makes the machine run a little smoother. That shaft seems to get neglected on a lot of machines. It only takes a second to shoot a little oil in the cups.

The shaft on mine looks like it's a little worn, but measures up at pretty much .750. It looks like the bushings are 1.0" OD bushings. Did you guys have to ream them to fit the shaft, or would they just press in
and be good to go? What material would I look for to replace the shaft, if I decided to do it?

As for oiling, I'm with you on this Chuck: I oil each time I use the lathe, and sometimes more than once during a job.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, those bushings are inexpensive.

The bushings are quite a tight fit in those sleeves. I had no luck with an arbor press, and had to locate a hydraulic press to get them in. Also, you may have to resize the bushing inside diameter after you press them in.

Very nice work, on both the lathe and the stand.

Thanks Tom. I appreciate it.

Did you buy your bushings from someone like McMaster-Carr also, or from Logan? Did you also change the shaft on yours? I don't have any sort of press in my shop, so I'd have to
find one. I imagine they have one in the shops at the place I work.

I purchased mine from McMaster-Carr, they are standard items, they may even have them at a decent hardware store. Yes I did need to ream them just a bit. At the time I did not have a press. I removed and replaced using an improvised set of tools, threaded rod, sockets, large washers. It was about 6 years ago so I don't remember the exact details. A press would be much easier.

Now that I think of it, I saw some bronze bushings at my hardware store the other day. I'll go have a look.

Nogoingback: Sorry, I didn't notice your post yesterday.

Both the bushings and the shaft came from McMaster's. I believe the ground shaft was ordered to the exact size, so it didn't even need to be trimmed.

Before I pressed the bushings in, they fit the shaft perfectly, but had to be opened up a little once they were pressed in. I didn't have a reamer, so I ended up doing it with sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit , with a portable drill, operated horizontally. I had to let the sleeve spin in my hand while the drill was turning. Sort of a silly method, and took way too long, bit it did work. There's a picture about half way thru my post on my Logan 200 rehab. Probably best to get the proper tool.

TomKro

Thanks Tom. I think you guys are talking me into changing out those bushings. :)

As others have said...you'll probably have to ream the bushings after you press them in. I have used plain old 1018 that I polished a little for shaft material.

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I've been out of town, but I'll check MSC or McMaster and see what they've got. I have an adjustable reamer that might be the right size:
I'll have to check.

Back