annular cutter speeds

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I got a 1/2 annular cutter to try in a 3/4 collet but don't have any idea on speeds in mild steel is there a chart or something somewhere thanks for any input :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 1/2 annular cutter to try in a 3/4 collet but don't have any idea on speeds in mild steel is there a chart or something somewhere thanks for any input :) :) :)
Wikipedia has a formula at the end of its section on annular cutters but it is missing the chart. There is also an external reference which may have the missing chart.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The chart I found says 90-110 which seems really slow but I'm gonna give it a shot

I've haven't used them on a mill, but having used them with a 1/2" hand held drill I would say start at, say 200 rpm with thread cutting oil and see how the first one goes, and go up from there until performance drops off and back up a little. If it's only a few holes, take your time. If it's a production thing, it's a matter of tool cost vs production. There always seems to be a sweet spot depending on cutter design and material being cut. Mike

I would recommend 250-350 RPM with plenty of sulfur based cutting oil. Many Mag drills (including mine 450 rpm) turn at one speed only. Introduce the cutter slowly, once cutting begins, continue deliberate pressure to produce a birds nest of swarf, Clear, er-oil, repeat. The biggest cutter killer is material shifting during a cut. Lock down your table and secure the work. They are an awesome addition to your toolbox.

The chart I found says 90-110 which seems really slow but I'm gonna give it a shot
My mag drill turns at 375 RPM and I've used cutters up to 1-1/2" in steel and 1" in stainless with no problems.

Thanks for the tips guys I'm gonna bump it up to 300ish rpm and see how it does even at 100 rpm it cut much faster than a standard bit

Back