[Newbie] Anniston, Al: Looking For Help Learning To Make Chips

Chris H

Registered
Registered
I'm new to machining and looking to find classes or just help in machining. I don't have anything yet, but am looking to get a manual lathe (13x40 ish size) and a CNC mill (Tormach 1100 or Charter Oak, or converted knee mill). I'm interested in making parts for motorcycles, dirt bikes (I have a 2WD Christini) and street bikes alike.

Does anyone know about the classes offered by Gadsden State? Are there any others around? Commuting to Birmingham is an option on Saturdays, but not for evenings.

Welcome to the best forum on the Net... I think anyway. I did the same thing. And then the bug bites hard. Use the search feature here for any mill you do consider. wil you be running Aluminum or Steel? Some of the classes are also offered online.
This place is close to me. http://www.techshop.ws/locations.html maybe one is by you in AL ?? all hands on and resonable. Most of it will be done on your own time in your own shop.. So your best class is you and your shop. (and here of course ;-) ....welcome.

Some sites- bidspotter is good to window shop and buy at very low prices. My fav. Govt. Liquidators. Is OK. I buy from them also. But not too much.

Steve Caldwell is the instructor at Ayers campus in Anniston call and tell him you would like to tour the shop and look it over. He has fadal and haas mills and lathes and recently got 2 new 13x40 clausing lathes and 2 new Bridgeports. You may be interested in taking the cnc classes at Ayers or the Gadsden campus. The Anniston campus don't offer night classes, not sure about gadsden but he can answer your questions and give you good advise. main office #256- 835 5400

Back