[CNC] Anilam 3200mk Help

You won't find a USB port.....only a floppy drive. I got my 3000M 3X back in 2008, and they didn't have it for an option then. In 2012 they offered a SD card reader as standard on new models but it was a $750.00 retro-fit for older models. And... you had to send them the console for installation.

You won't find a USB port.....only a floppy drive. I got my 3000M 3X back in 2008, and they didn't have it for an option then. In 2012 they offered a SD card reader as standard on new models but it was a $750.00 retro-fit for older models. And... you had to send them the console for installation.

Sorry, sarcasm doesn't translate well. You would never guess this machine was made in 2006. 1990 sure, when the small floppy disks became the new hotness. The USB remark was tongue in cheek.

Its not surprising to see they discontinued the Anilam line. Its seems like the last few years they were trying to use up components they bought too much of, instead of continuing the progression of the technology.

I did find a power supply, I just need to finish a Turbo VW build this week and I'll have the time to unload the mill and tear into the power supply issues. I got my tooling cleaned up as well.

This round of single digit temps hasn't helped any progress. My shop is heated, with a torpedo heater, but not insulated. It will burn through $40 worth of fuel in half a day of working in these temps.

If I was to move on from this control, what components would I need to replace it? A decent monitor, pendant, and ??? Links would be nice if anyone has BTDT.

Burrrrr! That's too cold to work! I have the same heating system in my shop and it's expensive when it's really cold.

For a basic controller system, all you need is a standard computer, your choice of monitor, a keyboard and a mouse. Add to that a motion controller that will output a +/- 10V analog signal to your servo drive amps, and software that will run the whole thing. Beyond that the sky is the limit. In your case I would use the existing servo motors and amps (drives). They are very robust and trouble free.

Mach3 is probably the most popular controller software, is pretty well supported and cheap. For a motion controller, Galil Motion Control products are my preferred systems. Galil plays OK with Mach3. Currently the Mach3 Galil plug-in supports both Ethernet and USB connections, as well as PCI bus connections with Galil. Last I heard, they are still working on the Mach4 plug-in for Galil, and it was not ready as of about 6 months ago.

These are the current top-of-the-line controllers Galil controllers

http://www.galilmc.com/motion-controllers/multi-axis/dmc-40x0

http://www.galilmc.com/motion-controllers/multi-axis/dmc-18x6

http://www.machsupport.com/software/

There are a number of used Galil controllers available on Ebay, but know what you buying. I will be happy to help evaluate anything you find.

We installed Mach3/Galil on Alloy's Shizouka AN S, it works OK for all normal machine functions, but I'm having some issues with the tool changer functionality. Had it running G-code within about an hour of firing it up the first time. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shizouka-an-s-build.33868/ This build is crazy complicated and not a normal conversion. We started with a blank canvas and built the entire system from the ground up. Includes a 24 station tool changer, and a very strange spindle speed control system. I did the design and programming, and Alloy did all the work ;)

On the other hand, I did the conversion on my machine right in the middle of a job when one of my encoders failed. About 12 hours and I had it up and running again. Didn't even take the setup off of the table. My software is absolutely free, but it will only work with Galil products, and will only run on WinXP until I figure out the comms for later Windows versions.

There are a number of other options available, most are expensive IMHO, and I don't know much about them.

Take a close look at the servo motors. When I got mine converted in 2008, Anilam just went to AC servos. Supposedly more responsive, and mounted slightly different from the DC type. I don't know if it would make any difference, but might put a kink in a low cost conversion.

Wouldn't make a bit of difference as long as the drives will accept a +/- 10V command signal. Pretty sure the DC motors are round, and the AC motors are square.

Those are DC servos then. Probably using Fenner drives and Baldor motors.

Back