Angle Plates Project, need help on navigating the angles

jlsmithseven

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys
My question is regarding milling the angles within .02. We have to mill these, then they are getting sent away for hardening , then we have to grind them. I need help on milling the correct angle at this point. After I drill the holes for both angle plates then cut it in the middle with the bandsaw, how do I get the desired angle milling it? Do I put two other angle plates that hold my piece flush to the top with a 60 degree angle? Like I'd have one 30 degree on one side and something flat on the other side then clamp them in the vice jaw? Attached picture of blueprints. THANK YOU!!! You guys have been awesome.

View media item 95791

I made an 45ºangle plate using my rotary table. You should be able to hold the accuracy you require with a rotary table. Mill one side, rotate 90º and mill the second side, rotate 45º and set your offset to 70.7mm and mill the diagonal. Use the same process for the 30-60-90 plate.

It's .02 on the angle. I'm just talking about milling it right now on the vertical bridgeport mill. I need to know how to get the correct angle on each. Can I just clamp the piece down at the end of the table and use a combination square to get the right angle then mill it? I've done that before. I just thought it might be easier somehow using the vice.

Uploaded a drawing I made in Autocad converted to English. Hope it can help you. Sorry there is a limit on picture size here.

View media item 95792

Last edited:
The three corner holes accurately represent the angles of the associated corner. With the angle plate horizontal on the mill table, leave the diagonals for last. indicate the longer square side holes to be on the same Y co-ordinate, clamp and mill the two square sides. Re-clamp with the two farthest-apart holes on the same Y co-ordinate and clamp, mill the diagonal side.

Maybe something like this could help
I use this method with the line function on the DRO and it works well.

jocat54 - this is exactly what i was looking for. definitely doable. however, i have one more small issue. When he is shaving the top off that angle, how do I know how deep I have to go on the z-axis to get my required length. I need to leave .015 on all sides because we are going to grind these after they come back for heat-treatment. I guess I just find the hypotenuse using trig and that will give me the length right, but how would I measure that accurately? Thanks for helping the beginner! hehe

Back