• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

And another Atlas horizontal mill rebuild.

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Orangecrush

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention,

When I bought the Atlas horizontal mill (MF) it also came with a bunch of tooling. I'm talking about a hundred or more end mills, woodruff cutters and wheel cutters. I have the arbor (7/8" I think) and a few other cutting attachments. When I found this mill and also a Craftsman 101-27440 lathe with quick change gear box. The guy who sold them to me had the Atlas original indexing centers. But when I went to pick them up, for some reason or another the indexing side got lost in all the loading of everything.

You can see in the pictures above that the table the mill is sitting on is not original.

Billh50

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Since using the one that was lent to me, I have found they are very useful. After seeing what some of them are selling for I know I will never have one of my own. That goes for a real vertical miller also. But this little Atlas squared up the ends of 2 tubes that were a bit long for my mini-lathe in about 10 minutes. Otherwise I would have had to try squaring them up by hand on a belt sander. And we all know the tubes could end up shorter than wanted before that happens.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
Nice job on the resto OC.

And welcome to the forum.

34_40

Dazed and Confused
Welcome to the club! And a nice looking job you did on the mill.
How about some pics of the tooling? Index Centers, I just want to drool over the keyboard again! LOL...

francist

Active User
Nice looking mill Orangecrush. I'm noticing the solid instead of spoked handwheels - never seen those before. Wonder if they are a previous owner modification. I have an MF as well that I'm putting back together, serial number 976.

-frank

Orangecrush

Thank you everyone for your reply,

I am so glad I found this forum, with all the Atlas horizontal mill rebuilds here I'm sure I'll learn more about my mill. I tore it down to the last bolt and cleaned it up and then painted it. As you can see in the above pictures I still need to put the motor on and a couple of other things. One thing I didn't do was to take the spindle apart, because when I was going over everything. The spindle was in good condition compared to the rest of the mill. All of the gears look like they have been barely used in the Change-O-Matic.

As far as the handwheels, yes they are not the original spoke type that came with these old mills. I'm not sure why whoever owned it before me change them out for the solid handwheels. But I have seen some other Atlas horizontal mills with solid handwheels like mine. So who knows why I have the solid handwheels compared to the spoke type?

Also, the serial number on my mill is 003446 and it is a MF.

I'll take some pictures of all the tooling I got with the deal so you guys can see what I have. But like I said, I probably have over a hundred end mills of various sizes and shapes, woodruff cutters, corner rounding end mills, and wheel cutters / slitting cutters.

Both the mill and lathe came with tooling. But for this thread I am just mentioning the mill and what I got for it. I'll have to create a new thread for my Craftsman 101-27440 lathe and show you what I got with it. And please don't get confused with my statement about the indexing centers. When I was talking to the guy who I bought the mill and lathe from. He sent me a picture of the indexing centers, and when I went there the first time to look at everything. He had the indexing centers sitting on the lathe thinking that they went with it. Of course I knew what they were for and knew that they went with the mill. I didn't make a big deal out of it because we were still in the negotiation process and I knew how much these indexing centers cost on eBay.

But when I went to pick up the mill and lathe. I guess in the confusion of loading everything on my trailer and my SUV. And during the Texas heat, I was more worried about how I was going to tie everything down so it didn't fly off my trailer. When I got everything back to my shop, I started unloading all the tooling that was in my SUV and noticed that the indexing centers piece was missing. So now I have the indexing center piece with the center and not the other side with the gears!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get a vise to go with the mill and that is something I really need!!! I have looked and looked for a vise that will fit on the mill. But they are either too big or too small for my needs and this little mill. And the ones you find on eBay, you would think that they are made out of gold or something with the prices people are asking for them!!!

Orangecrush

Little Machine Shop has a vice that fits well enough for me. It does restrict the Y axis travel by about 1/4 or 1/2 inch.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1647&category=

By the way, I recommend that you try to find that missing index center. The prices they go for on eBay are silly.
Are you talking about the little 1647/ 3" vise? Did it come with the swivel base for $65 bucks? And yes, you are right about the indexing center piece. The problem is that the guy who I bought the mill and lathe from has no idea where it could be. And I have looked and looked all over my shop for it and can't find it anywhere!!!

JPMacG

Active User
Yes, that is the one. It is no Kurt, but it works well enough for my purposes. I can take a photo of it on the mill if you would like to see how it fits.

By the way, I am retired from Lockheed Space Systems in Newtown.

Oh, and yes, it comes with the swivel.

Orangecrush

Yes, that is the one. It is no Kurt, but it works well enough for my purposes. I can take a photo of it on the mill if you would like to see how it fits.

By the way, I am retired from Lockheed Space Systems in Newtown.

Oh, and yes, it comes with the swivel.
Cool JP, I loved working there!!!

Yes, if you could take a picture of the vise on the mill that would be great!!! As you know with these mills we need something small enough that you can still use the Z axis.

JPMacG

Active User
I did not install them for the photo, but the vise is held with two Tee nuts, two short pieces of 5/16-18 threaded rod, and two collar nuts. I had to make the Tee nuts as I could not find any that would fit the slot. The vise also has two guides that fit in the slot and align the base. I had to modify them to fit the Atlas slot.

The Atlas owner's manual says to use square head bolts. I bought some to try but I did not like how they fit in the slot.

Billh50

Active User
You can buy T slot stud kits that fit. Or just buy some T nuts and threaded rod that can be cut to size. The Atlas I am borrowing had some T slot studs that just needed a little of milling to fit properly. I also had some T nuts and studs from my rotary table that fit the Atlas.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Also, the serial number on my mill is 003446 and it is an MF.
Actually, it is an MFA (12-speed). But somewhat like Land Rover with their Series models and Simpson with the 260, Atlas didn't decide to call it an MFA until around the time that they were getting ready to bring out the MFB. And all of the 12-speed machines were renamed M1A, MFA or MHA. The nameplate part number was changed retroactively to M1-15A. The serial number range for the M*A is 001345 to 005465. It is not unusual to find a 12-speed machine with a lower serial number as Atlas must have rather quickly discontinued making something for the 16-speed machine, perhaps the 4-step spindle pulley.

Orangecrush

Thank you for your reply wa5cab,

That makes sense to me with my mill being a MF and the lower serial number. And you are correct that my mill is a 12 speed with the 3 pulleys on the spindle and counter shaft assembly. I have seen some of these mills that have the MFA on them where mine just has the MF. So I'm guessing that it being a MF actually means it's a MFA?

When I bought the mill and lathe, the mill came with the original owners manual from back in 1943. It was rolled up in a cardboard tube that says"From: Atlas Press Company" and was shipped to Sears Roebuck store in Denton Texas. I don't know if any of this matters, but it also has what looks like some type of part number on the tube that says S: 69827 and a customer order date of 1/31/61. But what doesn't make sense is why Atlas would send a Instructions and parts list for Atlas Milling Machines dated Sept, 1943 with a customer order date of 1/31/61?

Maybe someone can help me with this discrepancy between the dates?

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Steve,

My guess goes like this: In 1961, the company was still Atlas Press. The owner at that time didn't happen to have gotten a manual when he bought the mill from the PO. The MFB apparently came out in 1944, so the 1943 manual would have been the final one done on the MFA (and M1A and MHA). And Atlas still at that time had it in stock, so they shipped it to him. Or actually to the Sears store. Although come to think of it, Sears only ever sold the MFC model, under their part number 101.15500, So that part is still a mystery.

We don't have a 1943 MFA manual. I would somehow like to get a copy of it. Or better yet, borrow it for scanning.

I don't recognize the S: 69827.

Yes, ever though yours has an MF nameplate, it is actually an MFA.

Orangecrush

Hey Robert,

The manual is not in that bad of condition, though a bit yellow from age. It's still good enough to make copies of and I have already made a few for reference use. I can scan it into the laptop and send it to you if you would like. Not sure how well it would do if I had to ship it to you because the pages are very fragile.

Plus I'm not really sure if the manual is complete, looks like it might be missing a few of the pages at the end. The reason I say that is I have downloaded a bunch of Atlas horizontal mill manuals from V.M. and some of them have exploded views of the machine. Which this one doesn't have or maybe they were taken out at some point.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Atlas didn't start doing illustrated (exploded view) parts manuals until about 1946. So those pages aren't missing.

Correction - I do have MP-2 dated September, 1943. It has 8 pages. But the scan is poorly done and parts of most pages are so light as to be illegible. Which is why I never bothered to convert it to TIF, clean it up, convert it back to PDF and upload it. I think that you will find the copy of MMB-5 that's in Downloads is better than what you found on V-M. Same is true of most of the lathe manuals in our DOWNLOADS. Most people just don't know how to run a scanner. And don't have the editing software to fix some of what the scanner can't fix. How about scanning one page and emailing that to me. Or you can upload it to DOWNLOADS. Just don't scan it to JPG. TIF would be best.

Orangecrush

Here's a question, when did Atlas stop selling the mill and what would be the final MF designation version?

Orangecrush

This manual has 8 pages (4 double sided) and looks like at one time was stapled together. I'll scan the whole thing and send you what ever you want from it.

Thank you for your help R. Good night.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
OK. I'll take the whole thing. Parts of almost every page in the PDF copy that I found somewhere are so light as to be illegible. But no hurry.

Orangecrush

Question of the day,

Before I go looking in the download section. Maybe someone can tell me if there is a drawing of the table stop for the Atlas horizontal mill? Mine didn't come with one and the people selling them on eBay must think they are made out of gold. From the pictures I have seen, they don't look like they are too hard to make. But if I had a drawing I could whip one up and slap that baby on my mill.

Better to be safe than sorry with these mills and knowing me I would forget about the table feed. And the next thing I know, BAM and the table goes flying off!!! LoL

Also, does anyone know what the little stamp mark is on the serial number plate on the Atlas horizontal mill? I have one on mine and have seen them on other Atlas mills and some others don't have the stamp mark?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Orangecrush

Last edited:

JPMacG

Active User
Yes, there is a drawing of the table stop in the downloads section. If you go to downloads and search on wa5cab you will come up with all the craftsman and atlas stuff. There are also some simpler versions of the stop that people have come up with. I does not need to be as complicated as the original part.

I'm not sure if I am supposed to re-post files from the download section, so I won't. But if you search you will find it easily.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Steve,

If you are referring to the cross feed kickout, the only Kickout that we have the drawing of is the M1-64 (should have been MF-64 - some Atlas draftsman screwed up). It only fits the MFC. The ones that you need are MF-14 Kickout and MF-15 Bolt.. Call Clausing tomorrow and ask them to email you the drawings. (Of course, you first have to ask if they have the part. If they say no, THEN you ask for the drawing).

They probably have the drawings. But if not, let me know and next week after the rain stops I will open up the crate and get the dimensions off of mine, edit the M1-64 drawing to MF-14, and upload it. And the bolt.

Orangecrush

Hello Robert,

I haven't had time to call Clausing yet because I have been busy working on my mill. Kick out/table stop MI/MF-64 is the one I downloaded from the forum yesterday. I was just going to make one up out of aluminum using the PDF version of the kick out and with a little modification it would probably work for my mill. From what I see in the PDF, they don't look like they are that hard to make.

But if you don't get rained out by the storm, and have some time to look in the crate. That would be great because I think a lot of us would like to know the dimensions of the MF-14 kick out. And if there is enough interest for them, I can probably make a few for those who might want one.

Which brings me to my next question. Can we use 2 of these kick outs for both sides of the table? My mill does not have the table stop that is part of the left handle assembly. The one you can adjust to make the table stop before it's too late!!! LoL Which is another thing I would like to make and don't see in any of the manuals I have downloaded.

5 7