An update on my vigil of pain

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
I'm finally set up to get the inerstim stimulator removed, Pre testing on the tenth and removal on the 18th of October. Ill be in on the 18th to get the removal you think I could schedule an mri while I'm there right oh know have to set up a different time so they get all they can from Medicare ins. But at least they said I can get it done near me , don't need to go to Jeff for the mri. Royal pita in my opinion if your already going to be in the hospital and held overnite wouldn't one test the next day be smarter . Or are the office workers making up lies to get me off the phone. Just not right ...........

I can't make a comment regarding what your Medicare Insurance will pay vs. what you will need to pay. I believe that you will be charged 20% of the cost as a copay. I don't have Medicare but when I needed to get a CAT scan, if I went to the hospital radiology dept. to have it done the cost would have been over $4,000, a stand alone company that is 1-block from the hospital the total charge was $480. Even with the insurance I would have paid more in co-pay to the hospital than what the total charge was from the free standing practice. Both facilities are on the insurance companies "in-network" list. You MIGHT be able to get the hospital to accept the payment from Medicare as payment in full; but you need to look into that prior to going into the hospital and get it in writing. Good luck and get well

This might be slightly off topic, and I don't want to offend anyone, but why doesn't the U.S. adopt a universal health care system like so many other countries. France, Canada, Britain, Sweden etc. I will admit there are some drawbacks, such as wait times, to these systems but everyone is covered through their taxes, no need to pay out of pocket for anything.You won't have to look for an insurance provider as the government is the provider. I just seems you people from the south are really getting hosed for monthly insurance coverage, if you can get it. And right now your congress is having a really tough time replacing Obomacare. Maybe a look at a different system might be in order.
I 'd be interested in your thoughts

You probably don't realize it but in the US this is considered a highly political remark.

Charles you are very correct. As a Canadian I have my son living in the US with his wife, and I am horrified when I hear about the costs they have to endure for what we consider routine procedures with no cost to us.

Of course my comment "no cost to us" is not true, we pay dearly through our tax structure.

So yes, unless folks here can have a discussion, not a debate, or an argument....it is probably best to just let it drop.

David

Let's stay on topic for Silverbullet. ( i wrote a dissertation and deleted it without posting, the topic is just too political)

Agreed. I did the same.

I can comment. I received the same BS from my own doctors office. I wanted to do two things and they told me that I had to come back because of billing reasons, they couldn't be done on the same visit. It's a way of working the system. Either the drs are at fault or the insurance has driven them to it.. That I'm not sure about.

I can comment. I received the same BS from my own doctors office. I wanted to do two things and they told me that I had to come back because of billing reasons, they couldn't be done on the same visit. It's a way of working the system. Either the drs are at fault or the insurance has driven them to it.. That I'm not sure about.

I can assure you that most doctors just want to practice Medicine. We do not receive training in business or medical insurance or Medicare in Med School; we learn what we need to practice Medicine. The regulatory environment in which you practice has strict rules and heavy penalties for not adhering to them, especially with Medicare and Medicaid but also with many private health plans. The doctors are forced to follow protocol, not because they are trying to make more money off of you but because this is how the system is set up. HMO's tend to be better about this (and I believe that is the model that will eventually be the national standard here) but even there, we must follow the rules and document care in a way that justifies the procedures we do. Why? Because if we don't then the business fails and everyone loses - patients and health care providers alike.

Back