An Embarassing Failure

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I'm not talking about my life right now .... I stayed up till 3am this morning trying to finish this top for my grandson, although not finished it was close enough for testing. It just falls over like a drunken sailor on leave. Any ideas? Top heavy?

It's made of aluminum, copper & brass.

DSCN3596 (640x480).jpg DSCN3597 (640x480).jpg

It looks top heavy for the amount of speed you'd be able get twisting by hand. Maybe try replacing the handle with aluminum.

looks very top heavy to me. the brass handle raises the center of mass higher up. also having the narrow top of the top and the wider body raises it's center of mass. you want to keep that center of mass as low as possible, either by using lighter materials on the upper part of it, or by making it wider, and shorter

To add context, I've done a similar top made of brass core (handle through tip) and rosewood body and found the brass handle to add too much weight on the top to make it top heavy. while looking good, that top never could turn. the ones that did work well had a narrower/shorter handle reducing the top weight on those.

I'm kinda painted into a corner on this now as I have no way to chuck it up and still turn off some of the top mass. any ideas on chucking it? I may have to make a cup center to support the point end & chuck it in my 5C collet chuck.

Well if you can't salvage it as is.. it would make one heck of a beautiful plump bob!

It might be faster to start over--------- here's a pic of one the wife made ------:whiteflag:

DSCN1334.JPG

Perhaps you could drill a series of lightening holes from the topside down towards the point using a tapered drill? Sorry, but that's all I got.

Think I'll try and turn it down similar to the one Gary's wife made and try to salvage it. Worked on it till 3am this morning and it is kinda cool looking with the 3 different metals.

Maybe I should go this route [video=youtube_share;A4s1f2Qf8yQ]http://youtu.be/A4s1f2Qf8yQ[/video]

Back