Amuse Ourselves For A Moment - What If

Hope our "Gunsmith Lathes" don't get stereotyped and start a whole new group of who're mongers wanting to confiscate them.
Just sayin

An OLD model Oliver wood lathe had a motor inside the centerline of the headstock,with a 1/2" hole through the armature. It was quite an ugly lathe. I bought one once and tossed the headstock,as it could not be made to work any more. I wanted the bed,with its strong cast iron feet,which ended up as a wire drawing machine.

I have an HLVH,and I WISH it had a longer bed. Somewhere in my fading memory,I think I have heard of a few long bed models that were made. Maybe some Googling would help. I use my HLVH for small work,as was intended for it in the first place.

It is the handiest lathe I have ever used(though there are some that are better,I know). But,the HLVH works smooth as silk and is very light on the controls. Like driving a sports car!

I've always admired the HLVH lathes as it would be perfect for 99.9% of what I want to do. But the prices, even for worn out junk, and the heft will likely prohibit me from ever owning one. I have more lathe now than what I need. :)

If there was a "Perfect" lathe, it would only be perfect for You. Everyone else would want something changed.

It would weigh less than 50 pounds and cost less than $100, complete with all tooling.

Seriously, weight and cost are my highest considerations for a lathe.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Are you REALLY wanting a lathe THAT light? I have a watch maker's lathe that weighs more than that!

The term "gunsmith" lathe is nonsense. Best lathe is HEAVY. I'm fond of1640's. With this swing I can use the lathe for all sorts of non-smithing stuff. Needs a spindle bore of 2". HP, if I have my way would be 5-7.5HP. Best 4 Jaw money can buy -- D6. Swiss toolpost, Dorian or Aloris in the alternative. Relatively short thru headstock. Good tooling like Sandvik or similar. Coolant. Newall DRO.

Some will claim overkill. I'm a retired gunsmith, and I liked a big, heavy powerful lathe. Today, I would look for something like Blue Line from Japan, a clean used Mori, Graziano, Cazaneuve or something along those lines. I hear the new Colchester lathes are very sweet if you want to buy new. There are plenty of great machines out there.

Nowadays, I use a PM 1340 for most stuff, but if I went back to work I would be using a more serious machine. PM is a fine hobbyist machine, but not very good for heavy daily use IMHO.

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Back