Aluminum 6061-t6 VS 1100 machinability question.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I just ordered a 6 foot length of 1.5"x 1.5" Aluminum 6061-t6 for machining small parts with my mini mill, so far I've been using scrap pieces I had brought from work many years ago some were angles, some 3/8" flat pieces of cut-offs but have no idea what type of aluminum alloy they were.
I searched the net and based on this site, Aluminum alloy 1100 has "Excellent Formability / Workability" but so does 6061.
My question to those of you who have machined different types of Aluminum is, how did you like AL6061 and /or 1100? is one significantly better than the other in terms of machinability? will a newbie to working with aluminum see a difference?
I also priced a small sheet of plastic called delrin thinking plastic would be easier on the small mill(motor/cutting tools) but the price of 24"x 48" x1" was close to $580 :eek: so I'm back with Aluminum for now.
Please share your comments and your thoughts.
Ken

Can't speak to the 1100 aluminum question, but with regards to plastics I've always been able to get off-cuts from the fabrication shops so it's a lot less prohibitive than pricing a full sheet. Victoria is not a big manufacturing centre by any stretch, but there's still two plastic fab shops within a mile and half of me and both have scrap boxes by the door with bits and bobs of stuff. There's got to be something within range of where you are. Great way to get a feel for a type of plastic without breaking the bank right off the bat.

-frank

Hi Frank, I did ask the metal wholesaler if they have scrap plastic remnants/off cuts which they didn't but they always let me have metal scraps for welding and stuff, never thought of looking for plastic fab shops near me.
The next best thing in plastic is UHMW, even the dollar stores sell cutting boards but I have heard they create a huge mess when planing or machining.

In part, the decision to choose one material instead of another depends on what sort of part you're making. 6061T6 is very commonly used in all sorts of applications and is known to machine well, can be
welded and has good structural properties. It's also widely available. Have a look at this website: www.onlinemetals.com. They sell all kinds of metals and plastics, and have an online guide
to aluminum that should get you started. Delrin is reasonably strong for plastic and machines easily, but of course it doesn't have the strength of aluminum.

6262 is nice to work with also.

Not sure on 1100 but I ended up with some 2 series aluminum years ago. 2100 possibly.
it was very soft and gummy compared to other aluminums I had around.
Not sure if that was all in the heat treat or lack of it or not.
Should probably try a small piece and see if it is usable before ordering much quantity.

Thank you all for your comments so far.
Russ, thanks for your relpy. I did my research before ordering the 6061 but it was done mainly by reading websites peddling their products, what I'm after is the actual practical experience by members , that in my opinion is more valuable .
You mentioned 2100, to be honest I'm not familiar with all these alloys but it reminded me , I did have a flat Aluminum bar a while back that when I tried to cut it, ( with a cutting wheel/grinder) it produced some gummy material as if it was melting, now after reading your post about the 2100 I'm thinking that was probably what I was cutting.

I'm just learning what different alloys of aluminum are , what's available and what they actually do when machined. the site I linked in my first post gives some information about 6061 and other types of material:
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/7-things-consider-choosing-aluminum-grade/

Hello, you will not regret the 6061 choice for your small mill. It is the alloy we mainly use at my job and I was granted access to the scrap bins so I do use a lot of it at home. Its not gummy and machines nicely. It can also be welded nicely as long as you have the power to do it and spend the right time in preparation.

For plastics well, im not sure about uhmw for a general purpose material. So far I found it a bit messy and it also is not as fun to machine as delrin or even better (IMO) HDPE. The last two have very nice properties and are a joy to machine with some HSS cutters dedicated to plastics only. The UHMW I use as well but mostly for wear resistant parts. (wear strips, roller chain tensionners etc.).

I can understand why some shops are dedicated to plastics only.. such a joy!

Have fun!

Pure aluminum is very gummy/hard to machine but it works great when doing extrusions/ forming. That's why cans and window frames are made with 1100, Not too good when you are casting but usually cheap or free.

Today I machined a small piece of the AL6061 and I really liked what I saw, it was a joy to machine,was a bit on the soft side though, when I lightly tapped on in in the vise, the hammer left a few marks on the surface,even though the one I was using has a very small brass head, but it cleaned up very nicely, I now have 60" of this Aluminum and have no inhibition using it for other projects.
Sean, I'm glad I didn't get the 1100,I would have returned it if I had, it's good to know what applications it is good for ,thanks .
Thank you all for your inputs.

Back