[How do I?] Aluminium Chip Control

Ok guys.
Will play with feed, tool geometry and see what happens.

Thanks a lot :encourage:

Make sure the insert is tight in the holder

boy did i screw this up, still learning, guys and girls
If by insert you mean a carbide tool then I don't believe I've ever used one in aluminum. I grind HHS blanks for that.

Passing here for a feedback.
Looks like heat build up.
Tried again this week and on first pass it worked. On following passes it doesn't worked.
Thanks.

Next time try Microchip aluminum alloy from Kaiser Aluminum rather than the standard 6061 extruded bar.

http://www.kaiseraluminum.com/customers/products/extrusions/rod/

Microchip doesn't come off in strings and form birds nests on the carriage or in the pan. Rather it comes off in sand like chips. Rather than a birds nest in the chip pan there's what looks like a pile of silver sand. It's easier to cut in that there's no string coming off the stock that can get jammed between the tool and the stock. It finishes as nice as standard 6061, but can be done at a deeper finish cut.

You could run 1/2" diameter up to 10,000+ rpm in your lathe if you could . What you are lacking on your manual is CSS ( constant surface speed) . When you cut at the same feed at a smaller diameter you are essentialy pushing the aluminum rather than shearing it . When programming in on a CNC lathe in CSS on a 6" diameter for instance at 1200 css , the rpms may be 600 but as the diameter gets closer to X zero , you will reach your machines max rpm or whatever speed limit you programmed . Use a lubricant , WD 40 or equivalent so the tool doesn't load . Increase speeds as part gets smaller . Grind a chipbreaker in your tool if possible.

Last edited:
Back