Altivar 31?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just acquired an Altivar 31 VFD with a 2 hp 3 ph motor. I am electronically challenged but I have managed to set up 2 Teco units that work great. This one I believe I have the wiring right, but when I went to start it up; I notice I have no Potentiometer or RUN Stop buttons on the unit. I presume I have to hook up a remote control. I even have a spare from my Teco units. The question is how do I hook it up? The unit doesn't seem to have the same terminal designations and it has a CAT 4 socket. (could be CAT 5?)

The name plate says ATV31HU15M2. I have the manual and CD that came with it, but I sure can't find any info on how simply turn it on and off and vary the speed manually.

TIA

Randy

You may have to go through the programming manual (either on your CD) or here

http://www.global-download.schneider-electric.com/85257578007E5C8A/all/F6CD6AEFE86DFCBB88257578006510D7/$File/atv31_programming_manual_en_1624589_04.pdf

My Mitsubishi VFD only came with a simple set of start/stop/rev/mode/set buttons (hidden under a plastic door).

I had to go deep into programming configurations just to get those buttons to respond the first time I wanted a quick check of operation (very powerful configuration programming, but a bit complex also).

I'm in process to add an external potentiometer and buttons to move the controls away from the VFD itself at which time, I will reset one of the programming registers to allow that change in interface.

Andy

Yeah, a little too complex for my meager mind. I'd just like to get it to start and stop and be able to change the speeds. I am more of an analog kinda guy.

Randy

CAT 4 is good for 16 Mbps speed max, has 4 conductors and is roughly equivalent to the CAT 3 we see in telephone applications. 3 is a little slower, and the cable isn't twisted pair.

CAT 5 is 4 pairs (8 wires) that are configured as 4 twisted pairs, usually referred to as UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair). It's good for up to roughly 1 Gbps.

They are NOT interchangeable. Usually, shielded wire is better for controls, and should be chassis grounded on one end only. CAT 5 or 5e is available as shielded. Either foil with a drain wire, or braid shielding.

Back