Aloris AXA piston-style adjustment or is it worn out? Update: problem solved

twooldvolvos

Registered
Registered
I have a used Aloris AXA piston style quick change tool post.

IMG_3079.JPG

Today I installed an Aloris tool holder and closed the tool post with a little more force than usual. To my surprise the tool post loosened up again, probably because I went over the top of a cam inside. After a little investigation, I found that the piston in the rear mount comes out further than the one on the front mount. I can close it with as much force as I want and it will not go over the cam top.

Here is a pic of the front mount extended to maximum amount:

IMG_3094.JPG

It's probably about 1/16 of an inch or so. And here is a picture of the rear mount fully extended:

IMG_3095.JPG

It is probably extended about 1/8 inch.

So my question is can I adjust the tool post so that the front mount can come out as far as the back mount or is my tool post worn out. Actually, the tool is still held securely enough to use but I can see I am on the edge. I realize I could just rotate the tool post 90 degrees and use the rear holder for my front tool. I have not used the rear holder yet anyway.

And by the way, 'C' stands for closed and 'O' stands for opened. I'm still new to this thing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a used Aloris AXA piston style quick change tool post.

View attachment 359850

Today I installed an Aloris tool holder and closed the tool post with a little more force than usual. To my surprise the tool post loosened up again, probably because I went over the top of a cam inside. After a little investigation, I found that the piston in the rear mount comes out further than the one on the front mount. I can close it with as much force as I want and it will not go over the cam top.

Here is a pic of the front mount extended to maximum amount:

View attachment 359851

It's probably about 1/16 of an inch or so. And here is a picture of the rear mount fully extended:

View attachment 359852

It is probably extended about 1/8 inch.

So my question is can I adjust the tool post so that the front mount can come out as far as the back mount or is my tool post worn out. Actually, the tool is still held securely enough to use but I can see I am on the edge. I realize I could just rotate the tool post 90 degrees and use the rear holder for my front tool. I have not used the rear holder yet anyway.

And by the way, 'C' stands for closed and 'O' stands for opened. I'm still new to this thing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Update.

IMG_3097.JPGIMG_3098.JPG

I went ahead and took the tool post apart. You can see that all you have to do it to pull the plungers out with a puller (I used a couple of sockets and some 1/4 20 threaded rod). Then the mechanism just pulls apart. I cleaned all the parts with mineral spirits and then reassembled with grease. Because I thought my problem could have been a wear issue, I swapped the plungers and turned the big pin around before I put it back together. And presto, the tool post gets tight as can be in both positions. So problem fixed, although I'm not exactly why, nor do I care. I will note a couple of things. One, the tool is very well made. And two, there is an aluminum-like coating on the cam and on the plungers that is flaking off. I took of the loose pieces and left the rest alone.

Last edited:
Back